Re:General RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

Hi,

I installed the trial version and absolutely loved Windows OneCare. I found it to be the best in every way except one and that is: since it is a Windows product to protect my Windows that I have already purchased, whatever version that may be, it should automatically come with it!! Having to purchase it separately just doesn't seem right.

Thank you

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 2:24 PM

All replies

• Thanks for the comments. I'm afraid that there would be quite an outcry from the 3rd party security vendors if OneCare were ever included with the operating system for no extra charge. Microsoft provides Windows Defender for free and includes the Windows Firewall. Microsoft also updates the OS and programs to patch security flaws discovered. Scanning and real-time protection against the ever evolving malware threats are not core functions of the OS and require quite an effort to stay up to date and effective, hence the reason that there's a healthy infrastructure out there selling software to protect the PC.

-steve

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 6:12 PM
  • Oh! I My mistake. I thought OneCare was created and provided by Microsoft. Thanks Steve

Thursday, September 11, 2008 3:18 PM
  • OneCare *is* created and sold by Microsoft. However, if Microsoft gave it out for free, the 3rd party vendors who are competition to Microsoft in this space, would have a problem with Microsoft giving it away for free, killing their business.

-steve

Thursday, September 11, 2008 5:00 PM