Proxy Server RRS feed

• Question

• Are there any plans to allow the users go through the WHS for content filtering on Internet Explorer. Nice solution for younger kids that you want to protect from the internet as well as adults.

This would be worth its weight in gold to most families who have to go through other vendors to make this happen.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 12:12 PM

All replies

•  fxdsuperglide wrote:
    Are there any plans to allow the users go through the WHS for content filtering on Internet Explorer. Nice solution for younger kids that you want to protect from the internet as well as adults.

This would be worth its weight in gold to most families who have to go through other vendors to make this happen.

This seems to be a popular request. There's a suggestion on Connect that deals with this, and it has a good number of votes. That said, I don't see it happening for version 1, because that feature set is (or should be) pretty well locked down. If it's possible at all, you'll have to go in and manually configure the required services on the WHS machine; there won't be an interface.

More likely it won't happen at all, because WHS isn't designed to live on the edge of your home network. That's where your firewall belongs. Still, if enough people want it, Microsoft may decide to include it, so you should weigh in on the feedback I linked above.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 1:36 PM
  • I use Astaro for my firewall and proxy needs at the moment but they are not for the faint at heart nor or they a solution for a non -savy user like this software is beng targeted for. I do however think that it does not need to be a firewall but could offer the content proxy option for non-savy users.

I understand by doing this it would have to be on the edge of the network to filter out requests and do content filtering but this could be done easily by just port forwarding your firewall router to the WHS box if you already have a firewall solution.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 1:52 PM