Unable to print using OneCare Printer Sharing RRS feed

• Question

•  

My daughter recently purchased a new laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium, her old one was running Windows XP (Pro, I think).  She was wirelessly connected in my OneCare group and was able to print remotely using the Print Sharing option in OneCare.  Now on her new laptop, she's listed in the OneCare group and has the printer available to her, but she cannot print anything - not even the test page.  Is this a driver issue with the printer and Windows Vista?  According to her laptop, she has the driver needed to for the printer, but she cannot print and she cannot set any printing preferences either.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 4:19 AM

Answers

• Can you check the laptop and verify that the OS is 32 bit Vista and not 64 bit Vista?

Control Panel, System - System Type.

Also, open OneCare on her system and make sure that the network is configured to be "Home or Work" (configure network on the Firewall tab after clicking Change Settings.) And, if it is "Home or Work" you may also want to check the advanced firewall configuration in OneCare to place a check next to the second File and printer sharing entry, for Internet, on the ports and protocols tab.

-steve

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 5:31 PM