convert volume to private without reinstall? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am wondering, if I purchase windows my means of this link,

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/nonGenuine.aspx?displaylang=en&Error=8&PartnerID=101&Loc=USA&sGuid=b8d0a1c0-9156-4ddc-ac04-d22a5b8acd49

will I be able to install my new genuine key over my apparent "volume" type windows, (which was very frusterating to find out i had when i thought i had a valid copy)... I am going away to school soon and having to reformat would be very difficult for me...

any advice would be very welcome

caleb

Monday, August 21, 2006 2:39 AM

Answers

•  caleb18 wrote:

Thank you for the reply Dan,

Just a couple clarifications if you dont mind...

The key updater will work on my machine (provided there is no false files) and will change my windows from the volume thing to a private version? It's just I've read there may be some problems with this.

Common problems:

1.  Cracked and hacked files---the Updater will quit the file scan and report the error.  Solution:  wait till the CD arrives and do a repair reinstallation.

2.  Communication issues---the Updater needs full internet access to work with MS servers to do the file scan.  Solution:  make sure your firewall and/or antivirus program are not preventing the Updater from accessing the internet.

3.  Product Key mix-ups---Product Keys are specific to different editions of XP; for example, you cannot install XP Pro using an XP Home Product Key, nor can you genuine-ize a nongenuine XP Pro installation with a genuine XP Home Product Key.  Solution:  use the appropriate Product Key by matching editions of XP.

caleb18 wrote:

Also, if there are false files and the key updater does not work will my machine still run until I get the CD in the mail?

Yes, the Updater will not alter any system files unless and until it verifies that the approx. 6,000 system files it checks are OK.  If not, it just stops and reports the error.  It only begins to change system files after the scan completes with no errors.

caleb18 wrote:

Finally, is there any way (ie using the WGA diagnostic tool) to find out if there are false files so that I can start preparing for my reinstall now??

Not that I know of, using the MGADiag tool.

XP does have a built-in System File Checker that is designed to verify the digital signatures of critical system files each time the OS loads, and to replace any that are changed while the system is running.  However, one of the tasks of the "cracker" is to circumvent this protection system so that the cracked files that get around WGA and/or activation can be installed and run.  You can try using SFC, but on a cracked system it probably is not all that effective.

Have a look at this article for more info:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747/en-us

caleb18 wrote:

Thanks again,

Caleb

You're welcome, and Good Luck!

Monday, August 21, 2006 2:20 PM

All replies

• Caleb18,

The WGA kit is ordered at the page you posted.

You are sent an XP Pro full retail Product Key immediately via email.  You use the Key Updater Utility to apply the genuine Product Key to the nongenuine installation.  If there are no hacked and cracked files, the Utility will complete and you will have a genuine XP Pro installation.

Key Updater Utility found here:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/pkuinstructions.aspx

In about two weeks you will get a Full Retail XP Pro CD in the mail.

Monday, August 21, 2006 3:24 AM
  • Thank you for the reply Dan,

The key updater will work on my machine (provided there is no false files) and will change my windows from the volume thing to a private version? It's just I've read there may be some problems with this.

Also, if there are false files and the key updater does not work will my machine still run until I get the CD in the mail?

Finally, is there any way (ie using the WGA diagnostic tool) to find out if there are false files so that I can start preparing for my reinstall now?

Thanks again,

Caleb
    Monday, August 21, 2006 1:53 PM
  •  caleb18 wrote:

Thank you for the reply Dan,

Common problems:

1.  Cracked and hacked files---the Updater will quit the file scan and report the error.  Solution:  wait till the CD arrives and do a repair reinstallation.

2.  Communication issues---the Updater needs full internet access to work with MS servers to do the file scan.  Solution:  make sure your firewall and/or antivirus program are not preventing the Updater from accessing the internet.

3.  Product Key mix-ups---Product Keys are specific to different editions of XP; for example, you cannot install XP Pro using an XP Home Product Key, nor can you genuine-ize a nongenuine XP Pro installation with a genuine XP Home Product Key.  Solution:  use the appropriate Product Key by matching editions of XP.

caleb18 wrote:

Yes, the Updater will not alter any system files unless and until it verifies that the approx. 6,000 system files it checks are OK.  If not, it just stops and reports the error.  It only begins to change system files after the scan completes with no errors.

caleb18 wrote:

Finally, is there any way (ie using the WGA diagnostic tool) to find out if there are false files so that I can start preparing for my reinstall now??

Not that I know of, using the MGADiag tool.

XP does have a built-in System File Checker that is designed to verify the digital signatures of critical system files each time the OS loads, and to replace any that are changed while the system is running.  However, one of the tasks of the "cracker" is to circumvent this protection system so that the cracked files that get around WGA and/or activation can be installed and run.  You can try using SFC, but on a cracked system it probably is not all that effective.

Have a look at this article for more info:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747/en-us

caleb18 wrote:

Thanks again,

Caleb

You're welcome, and Good Luck!

Monday, August 21, 2006 2:20 PM