none
PDF to OFX RRS feed

• Question

• Good afternoon

My cc provider does statements in PDF format. I actually asked if they could do OFX and they said 'Nope' - more or less like that. I am reluctant to change as it is M&S and every so often one gets cash vouchers.

The lady who answered my question suggested I convert the file to OFX, which had frankly not occurred to me. A few minutes on Google revealed a number of suggestions which seemd either expensive or overly complicated.

Has anyone found a relatively easy way to accomplish this?

Dr AS

Friday, June 26, 2020 4:48 PM

All replies

• > Has anyone found a relatively easy way to accomplish this?

I think that will be unlikely (at least the easy part). Reason for that: data in the PDF file is not structured so codes will have to be written specific for your bank/credit-card PDF content.

Is CVS available? That might be an easier path.

As an example for PDF converting: I've done something like that in the past. As mentioned, the codes are specific to a particular format which is Apple Card.

https://ac2ofx.github.io/ac2ofx/

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 3:11 PM
  • I suspect parsing HTML would be easier, but you still know that your screen scraping code can break when they change how they do something. PDF would have the same problem.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2020 4:56 PM
  • I suspected this would be the case. I fear the monthly paper reconciling (I am a bit obsessive) may continue to be the case. The Bank have told me "This is not possible", to which I have replied briskly they are wrong, they merely choose not to do it.

Dr AS

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 5:57 PM
  • If you want to save the HTM file from the credit card website, edit that file to remove anything personal, and post that to an accessible place, I might be able to write a Python script to generate a QIF file. 

I sometimes get inspired, and often I don't.

It would also be possible to generated a CSV file, and there are other programs that can generate OFX from a CSV file.

The script(s) could be invoked from a batch file, and that batch file could feed the output to another program.

For taking out personal stuff, change the account number to 1234567890123456 or whatever. Mary's Donuts could change to Business1.

Make sure that what you save has transaction info. Notepad would be suitable to edit to remove any personal stuff without adding in word-processor stuff.

I tried saving the HTML page for my credit card. No success with Edge or Chrome, but Firefox was somewhat successful. I measure success by being able to find an amount that I knew was in the statement or find a payee. The info in the file that Firefox saved would be hard to parse. Your CC may give a more readable HTML.

Thursday, July 2, 2020 5:46 PM