CRM 2011 to 2013 upgrade - potential issue with outlook client RRS feed

• Question

• We plan to upgrade CRM from 2011 to 2013, while the CRM 2013 will run on new server.

All users will have to upgrade outlook client and change the server connection – until now OK.

But I am not sure, how the outlook records (contacts, task, appointment) will react – whether will be duplicated or the new organization will somehow connect?

Does anybody have experiences?

Thank you

Ales

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 11:24 AM

All replies

• Are you creating a whole new organization or will you be upgrading the existing organization? It sounds like perhaps the former is what you're discussing. In that case, what is your plan for your records? If you're migrating them over, they will have to be manually re-associated with their Outlook clients. Of course all of the emails and attachments that are already uploaded could be safely migrated without fear of losing anything.

Really the easiest thing to do is just to upgrade the existing CRM 2011 organization and move that single org between servers if necessary.

• Proposed as answer by Ryan Telesca Tuesday, August 12, 2014 3:30 PM
    Tuesday, August 12, 2014 3:30 PM
  • We are migrating to new SQL and CRM server. So the procedure is:

1. BackUp CRM 2011 DB on old SQL server;
    2. Restore the DB on new SQL server;
    3. Import the organization on CRM 2013 server;
    4. Upgrade outlook clients
    5. Change the server URL in outlook client
      1. Delete old URL
      2. Create new URL

And I am not sure, what happens with outlook records in step 5 after the first synchronization. Because in step 51 I expect all synchronized records will remain in outlook “locally” and in step 52 I don’t know, whether they will somehow connect.

Or is some better way how to migrate? The request is the 2011 have to remain in case of problems.

Thanks a lot.

Ales

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 7:43 PM