none
Posts in languages other than English

Question

• Recently I answered a question posted in english in a different language, as I recognized the poster was a speaker of that language, and a moderator moved the post to the off topics forum, without giving us the chance to rectify.

I was hoping Ed Price and other Top Tier moderators could help me understand this. If the action of moving the entire thread without notice was warranted, would someone please point me to the  documentation stating these forums are for english only? And if so, where can I find the "locale specific" forums? (Quoting the moderator that moved the thread. I understand locale and language are related but not equal concepts.)

I am aiming at becoming an MCC and moderator and being able to not only understand these rules and point users to proper documentation governing usage of the forums seem essential to the task of moderating.

Thank you for enlightening me,

Mauricio Feijo

My Technet Articles

If you like this or another reply, vote it up!
    If you think this or another reply answers the original question, mark it or propose it as an answer.

Mauricio Feijo
    www.mauriciofeijo.com

Thursday, September 1, 2016 4:57 PM

Answers

• 1.) They're not English only.

2.) Once you have the locale set in your browser then the forums in that language will show up.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Mauricio Feijo Thursday, September 1, 2016 8:04 PM
    Thursday, September 1, 2016 6:48 PM
  • Take a look at this very interesting new blog post

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/forumninjas/forums-url-format/

This blog explains (among other things) how to switch to the forum with correct language.

As a moderator I usually try to move thread from English forum into corresponding forum in correct language (if I can figure out the language correctly). I don't like having threads in a different language in, say, T-SQL forum where the language is English.

Some moderators just move the thread to Of-Topic right away if that question is in the wrong language because figuring out the correct language, switching to it and moving thread there requires more work. I believe a while ago I posted a TechNet article about moving thread to forum with right language. I don't know if the method described in that article is still correct.

Here is that article https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/17925.forum-moderation-how-to-move-threads-between-different-language-forums.aspx

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Thursday, September 1, 2016 7:42 PM

All replies