More then 3 PC RRS feed

• Question

• I have more then 3 PC is there away that my circle can have more then 3 PC.

Saturday, December 29, 2007 6:44 AM

Answers

• I'm going to move this thread to the Multi-PC Management folder, but the answer is that at this time you can only have 3 PCs on a subscription, so therefore only 3 PCs in a Circle. To license additional PCs, you need another subscription, using a different LiveID, so the additional PCs cannot be managed in the original Circle.

I believe that this will change in the future, but no official announcement has been made on how to add licenses to a subscription.

-steve

Monday, December 31, 2007 2:03 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I have the same issue.  I have 3 PC's successfully set up with a OneCare subscription in a circle.  But I have 3 more PC's at home.  I can always purchase another One Care subscription for 3 more PC's and use a different email to set up a new Microsoft account, but that seems to defeat the idea of integrating the control in one place.  If I buy the second subscription and use the same email, will 6 work in one circle?  Thanks.

Bruce

PS--After I posted this, I found more info and answers in the Multi PC part of this forum.  I will review that and see how I configure my 6 PC's.  Thx.

Saturday, December 29, 2007 3:38 PM
  • I'm going to move this thread to the Multi-PC Management folder, but the answer is that at this time you can only have 3 PCs on a subscription, so therefore only 3 PCs in a Circle. To license additional PCs, you need another subscription, using a different LiveID, so the additional PCs cannot be managed in the original Circle.

I believe that this will change in the future, but no official announcement has been made on how to add licenses to a subscription.

-steve

Monday, December 31, 2007 2:03 AM
  • Steve,

Thanks.  I will use a different email to create a new second LiveID and then purchase another subscription for my second and separate circle of 3 computers on OneCare.  I can simplfy and consolidate these into one LiveID upon an annual renewal if, as and when Microsoft changes things in the future.

Bruce White

Monday, December 31, 2007 2:25 PM
  • I had three PCs in a circle.

I was trying to setup a second circle for additional pcs.  I used the same Live ID for the 4th PC and expected to be prompted for a license.  Instead I ended up with a circle with 4 PCs.  I have not entered the ID for my second license yet.

Just wondering if this is the expected behaviour.

I have a few more PCs I plan to add soon. (currentlly running NAV)

-Mike

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 9:43 PM
  • Yes, this is expected. You will not (at this time) be prevented from adding a 4th PC to your subscription, but you are violating the terms of the license. That sounds harsh - "violating."

To resolve this, uninstall OneCare from the 4th PC and reinstall. Then, activate with the different LiveID and a retail PIN or credit card.

-steve

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 10:29 PM
  • I am a little confused. I thought you were supposed to be able to have one live ID which you could use for everything.

If I create a new live ID then I have a new email address which I need to monitor, don't I? If I don't login each 30 days, a hotmail account will expire won't it?

I do have a Retail PIN which I expected to be prompted for when I added the 4th PC.

-Mike

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 2:06 AM
  • A LiveID can be a Hotmail account, but it doesn't have to be. If you never access the Hotmail site with that LiveID, the email account is already inactive, but it is reserved for you when you create a LiveID with an @hotmail address.

To your original point, yes, a single LiveID is a convenient thing, but the problem here is that the Billing system doesn't allow for multiple subscriptions to the same service and OneCare doesn't yet have a facility to add licenses to a subscription. So, we're currently stuck with the need to use a second LiveID for a second subscription.

-steve

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 7:55 PM
  • I already had a paid subscription (and 3 pcs subscribed) when I subscribed to the beta program. In ignorance I used the same liveid as I used for the paid subscription. Will I still be able to add 3 pcs under my beta subscription? If not, is there a way to change the liveid for my beta subscription so I can Live OneCare to pcs on my lan which do not have Live OneCare installed?

Thursday, January 3, 2008 4:19 PM
  • I happened to use my personal Live ID for my PCs at work. I believed that I could have more then 3 PCs per live ID, so my plan was to have 2 subscriptions on that live ID (my work PCs and my home PCs).

Now it seems I will have to create a second Live ID.  Is there any way to move my "Work" subscription to the new LiveID I will create.  That way I can have my personal home PCs on my personal LiveID.

Thanks,

-Mike

Thursday, January 3, 2008 5:49 PM
  •  slomike wrote:

I happened to use my personal Live ID for my PCs at work. I believed that I could have more then 3 PCs per live ID, so my plan was to have 2 subscriptions on that live ID (my work PCs and my home PCs).

Now it seems I will have to create a second Live ID.  Is there any way to move my "Work" subscription to the new LiveID I will create.  That way I can have my personal home PCs on my personal LiveID.

Thanks,

-Mike

You'll need to reinstall OneCare on the work PCs so you can activate with the second LiveID and subscription, Mike.

-steve

Thursday, January 3, 2008 7:32 PM
  •  skibum1947 wrote:

I already had a paid subscription (and 3 pcs subscribed) when I subscribed to the beta program. In ignorance I used the same liveid as I used for the paid subscription. Will I still be able to add 3 pcs under my beta subscription? If not, is there a way to change the liveid for my beta subscription so I can Live OneCare to pcs on my lan which do not have Live OneCare installed?

The beta environment is slated to be shut down in the near future, so you will need to uninstall the OneCare 2.0 beta code at that time or sooner and reinstall the production code.

Using the same LiveID for the beta and production isn't bad, it can just cause confusion during a beta when you are trying to determine what PC is using what version.

-steve

Thursday, January 3, 2008 8:00 PM
  • Is it possible to have more than one one care circle on a peer to peer network? I have up to 10 computers, should I run 4 circles with 4 hubs?

Do tell

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 9:51 PM
  • You can have as many subscriptions as you desire - all on the same network. You can make any of the PCs hubs. At this point, for 10 PCs, you need 4 subscriptions and you can activate the 10 copies in any combination of 1 to 3 PCs per LiveID. So, for example:

LiveID A - 3 PCs

LiveID B - 3 PCs

LiveID C - 2 PCs

LiveID D - 2 PCs

And you can have one PC (or more) for each subscription/LiveID be a hub to show you the status of the other PCs on the same subscription.

-steve

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 10:25 PM
  • Steve,

Thanks for the extra detail.  Based on your configuration above, with multiple subscriptions on the same network, is there anyway for one PC to see *all* other PC as one single Hub?

drij

Sunday, January 27, 2008 9:41 AM
  • I'm afraid not. Each Circle is independent of each other as they are defined by the LiveID.

-steve

Monday, January 28, 2008 2:44 AM
  • Stephen:

I am both a beta tester and a business owner/user (non-beta) of OneCare.  We have 5 licenses (15 PCs) all running OneCare 2.0.xxx at my business.  I have found the restriction on 3 PCs per circle (i.e. hub) to be an extremely restrictive limitation.  The circle management concept is a wonderful tool for getting a quick & simple view of the status of our workstations...but the limitation of 3 PCs makes no sense - either business or home.

In fact, I would prefer a single license to which I can add additional workstations as the need arises.  Is there any motion or relief on the 3PC limitation?  Any time frame?

And, yes, I am aware of the Forefront product....however, OneCare is fits our business needs better than that product.  The marketing of OneCare as a small business product isn't really correct....in that I cannot link my office machines to one hub.  That is unless you think of small businesses as having only 3PCs...most of us have more than that....

Thanks

Monday, January 28, 2008 1:29 PM
  • I most certainly agree with all of your points. I have no information on a time frame for allowing more than 3 PCs on a subscription, but I know that many, like you, are indeed looking for this capability. This is especially true with the advent of the Circle functionality in OneCare.

-steve

Monday, January 28, 2008 1:31 PM
  • Stephen:

Thank you for responding.  Is there anything that "we" can do to encourage or accelerate development progress in that direction?

-arne

Monday, January 28, 2008 3:11 PM
  • I imagine that the traffic on this request here in the forum is a good indicator to the OneCare team that this is a desired feature. I'm not sure at this point if it is a limitation of the Billing system or a marketing decision.

-steve

Monday, January 28, 2008 3:26 PM
  •  

I agree just as everyone is saying, this feature would be amazing, being able to see all computers from One hub, One id, to see what’s needed to keep it all secure is exactly what OneCare needs, I mean 3 PCs is good, but having the option to add more on the same One live ID it just makes so much more sense,

And it’s quite clear this is a feature that people want.

I take care of the 5 computer in my home, and nobody wants to keep making sure that their computer is up to date since they want to use the computer not spend all day checking updates and security. OneCare in my opinion is a better solution than the likes of Norton and its copy of OneCare of the new Norton 360.

At the moment I am not running OneCare on all five computers, but only 3, this is because I wouldn’t be able to see the other computers from my one hub. So at the moment these other 2 have to be manual managed, but been able to have this extra would make it possible for me to install OneCare on these 2 other computers. There for I will be able to see them on my one hub.

This is defiantly a feature that is needed

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 10:23 AM
  •  

Just thought I would add another heads up on Onecare needs to be able to handle more than three computers on its circle!

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 11:55 PM
  • So it sounds like it is technically possibly to have more than 3 PC's in a OneCare circle, however the current licensing does not support it. Could we purchase multiple subscriptions but still register all PC's with the same Live ID ?
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 3:51 AM
  •  James Nobes wrote:
    So it sounds like it is technically possibly to have more than 3 PC's in a OneCare circle, however the current licensing does not support it. Could we purchase multiple subscriptions but still register all PC's with the same Live ID ?

Technically, yes. By license, no. And if you do this, I can't say that it will continue to work. Since each PC communicates with the server, the 3 active PC limit could be enforced at any time.

-steve

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 1:51 PM
  • We just added a new PC and would like to continue using OneCare on all four.  The extra machine will not be on the home office circle often if at all.  Seems like there should be some optional pricing for adding another licence.  Don't know how common this will be but I do know other families that have more than three computers.  I don't have any statistics on how many, however.

So expanding the product to handle more than three on the same wireless network in some fashion would be something for Microsoft to consider.  Small office groups are probably more common than large computer families.

If nothing else adding a stand alone license that isn't in the OneCare circle in a small group should not be priced at the standard 1 to 3 cost.  At least there should be a discount for additional machines above the three limit.

If I read the above statement correctly, adding additional machines should be done with another Live ID to avoid possible future problems.  Is that correct?  Other than keeping the Live IDs straight, are there any possible problems with multiple OneCare circles on the same small wireless network other than network performance issues.

Bill

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 2:32 PM
  •  BillR2 wrote:

We just added a new PC and would like to continue using OneCare on all four.  The extra machine will not be on the home office circle often if at all.  Seems like there should be some optional pricing for adding another licence.  Don't know how common this will be but I do know other families that have more than three computers.  I don't have any statistics on how many, however.

So expanding the product to handle more than three on the same wireless network in some fashion would be something for Microsoft to consider.  Small office groups are probably more common than large computer families.

If nothing else adding a stand alone license that isn't in the OneCare circle in a small group should not be priced at the standard 1 to 3 cost.  At least there should be a discount for additional machines above the three limit.

If I read the above statement correctly, adding additional machines should be done with another Live ID to avoid possible future problems.  Is that correct?  Other than keeping the Live IDs straight, are there any possible problems with multiple OneCare circles on the same small wireless network other than network performance issues.

Bill

You read it correctly, Bill. There should be no problems at all with many PCs on the same LAN using OneCare activated under different IDs.

I agree on the pricing ideas and also with the desire to have the ability to purchase license packs or similar for any number of additional PCs on the same subscription LiveID.

And, in your first paragraph - "The extra machine will not be on the home office circle often if at all." Note that a Circle is actually all PCs activated using OneCare activated with the same LiveID where at least one of them has been designated to be a hub. Even if none are made into a hub, it's still a Circle. Making one of more into a Hub will cause the PCs to communicate status back to the hub directly and provides for some management capabilities as well as Centralized backup for all PCs in the Circle. The text in OneCare is kind of confusing, in my opinion. You can't actually add a PC to your Circle in any way except by activating it with the LiveID for the subscription. Once you activate, if one PC or more are a Hub, the newly activated PC is automatically in the Circle. To remove the PC from the Circle is to unsubscribe or *kill* OneCare on that PC.

-steve 

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 5:41 PM
  • Just adding another voice to the request to expand upon the 3 PC limit - currently have four, and have chosen to use free AVG on the 4th until this can be resolved.

Sunday, March 2, 2008 8:14 PM
  • Count me in as well.  I currently have 4 pc's that I would like to see all under the same OneCare circle.  Set a price and let's get this done.

Monday, March 17, 2008 11:45 AM
  • I have a pc that was part of my circle but it died last week.  I had to replace it but so it still shows in my circle and doesn't appear to have a way to delete it.  the message tells me to go to that computer and uninstall it but that isn't possible. 

I also agree that it will be great when you can support all computers within one circle...

Thursday, March 20, 2008 3:37 AM
  •  BetaBoldt wrote:

I have a pc that was part of my circle but it died last week.  I had to replace it but so it still shows in my circle and doesn't appear to have a way to delete it.  the message tells me to go to that computer and uninstall it but that isn't possible. 

I also agree that it will be great when you can support all computers within one circle...

On the hub PC, click on Your OneCare Circle to see the list of computers. Click on details for the one you want to remove. There will be a link for removal below that PC in the list after clicking details.

-steve

Thursday, March 20, 2008 6:16 PM
  • I have 2 adults + 3 kids we all have our own computer. I have to look after all PC's so nead one subscription for all. I'll subscribe when I can add more than 3 PC's as not only having 2 subscriptions is inconvienient its also exensive.

Monday, June 16, 2008 11:46 PM
  •  

"I believe that this will change in the future, but no official announcement has been made on how to add licenses to a subscription." Steve - Dec 30, 2007

I see this was the answer to the "More than 3 PC" question 7 months ago...has there been any progress on this issue?  I really would like to add more computers to my circle.  I don't care if I need to purchace more licenses... whats the status?

Monday, June 23, 2008 4:39 PM
  • I wish that I could be the bearer of good news today, but there has been no new information on the status of this issue. We can keep our fingers crossed that the forthcoming 2.5 release brings a change. Note that I don't know this to be the case, I'm only speculating and hoping along with you.

-steve

Monday, June 23, 2008 7:10 PM
  • is the second pc cover by one care

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 3:50 PM
  •  eliggin3 wrote:
    is the second pc cover by one care

Hello, Ericka. Yes, a subscription for OneCare covers up to 3 computers. Install OneCare on up to 3 computers and activate/subscribe on each PC using the *same* LiveID that was used on the first, which created your subscription.

-steve

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 4:51 PM
  • I have been using One Care in my church offices for nearly a year.  Due to the fact that we have 20 computers, I have been forced to manage them using multiple licenses.  At one time, I mistakenly used an existing subscription on too many machines and had 5 computers being tracked by the hub.  I quickly realized the error and moved two of them to the proper subscription.

It is nearing renewal time(each one different) and I am beginning to think that Microsoft really doesn't want to change their billing and licensing methods to allow for site licensing and larger numbers of units controlled by one hub (MINE!).  Is Microsoft moving towards this offering, if not, let me know so I can explore another solution and get better control of my environment.  This is becoming very time consuming for me and Microsoft is missing a large market by limiting this software to groups of only 3 computers.

handyman for God
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 5:20 PM
  • Skeeter1997,

Sadly, this will not likely change in light of the announcement that renewals and new activations for OneCare will no longer be allowed towards the end of 2009. Active subscriptions will be supported through end of life up until the end of 2010.

The good news, for those just needing the antimalware protection of OneCare, is that Morro has been announced for release in the latter half of 2009 and it will be free. See the announcement at the top of the General topic folder for more information.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 8:08 PM