Drive Failure Message RRS feed

• Question

• For a short time, I had attached an USB Hard to my home server.  I couldn't get the drive to load though (the disk itself was having issues, not WHS) so I removed it.  Since then, I've been getting a 'Network Critical' status from the WHS console:
    "Volume with name Unformatted volume \\?\{560811db-7dc4-11de-bfe3-0012175a2f43}\ has failed. Please check hard drives and try to run Repair to fix errors for disk ."

And this message logged every couple of minutes to the event log:
    "Assertion failure at d:\wssg_src\whs_pp2\qhs\src\storage\qsm\qsm.cxx(18774): pVolRunner->vdf.nDisks > 0"

The server storage view of the console shows both of my internal drives status as healthy.  Any way i can get rid of this message, especially since I know this messed up drive will never be connected again to this machine (i gave it away :) ).

Thanks,
    ray

PS: This seems very closely related with this other post:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/b9c81394-af89-4336-ac76-267f34e95fec

Thursday, August 6, 2009 12:29 AM

All replies

• For a short time, I had attached an USB Hard to my home server.  I couldn't get the drive to load though (the disk itself was having issues, not WHS) so I removed it.  Since then, I've been getting a 'Network Critical' status from the WHS console:
    "Volume with name Unformatted volume \\?\{560811db-7dc4-11de-bfe3-0012175a2f43}\ has failed. Please check hard drives and try to run Repair to fix errors for disk ."

And this message logged every couple of minutes to the event log:
    "Assertion failure at d:\wssg_src\whs_pp2\qhs\src\storage\qsm\qsm.cxx(18774): pVolRunner->vdf.nDisks > 0"

The server storage view of the console shows both of my internal drives status as healthy.  Any way i can get rid of this message, especially since I know this messed up drive will never be connected again to this machine (i gave it away :) ).

Thanks,
    ray

PS: This seems very closely related with this other post:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/b9c81394-af89-4336-ac76-267f34e95fec

Does that drive still show up in the Console, Server Storage tab?  Have you tried rebooting the server?
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 1:46 AM
  • The drive doesn't show up in the storage tab (not sure it ever did).  Also, I have tried rebooting but the problem persists.
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 12:22 PM
  • The drive doesn't show up in the storage tab (not sure it ever did).  Also, I have tried rebooting but the problem persists.

The only supported method to fix it is Server Reinstallation.  (The unsupported method would involve accessing the registry, but if you aren't really familiar with computers, I would strongly advise against it.)
    Friday, August 7, 2009 4:28 AM
  • Do you know more specifically what registry data needs to be removed?  (I'm a software engineer, so, I'm familiar registry editing, just not what would need to be done to fix this issue).

I did a registry search when the problem came up from reading other posts mentioning that as the fix.  I think 3 keys showed up with that guid.  Should I just remove all of them?

Also, is there a way that I can verify the guid's of the drives i know are connected and ensure they don't get removed?

Thanks,
    ray
    Friday, August 7, 2009 11:55 AM
  • Do you know more specifically what registry data needs to be removed?  (I'm a software engineer, so, I'm familiar registry editing, just not what would need to be done to fix this issue).

I did a registry search when the problem came up from reading other posts mentioning that as the fix.  I think 3 keys showed up with that guid.  Should I just remove all of them?

Also, is there a way that I can verify the guid's of the drives i know are connected and ensure they don't get removed?

Thanks,
    ray
    I would still recommend a Server Reinstallation.  But if you want to try it: here it goes:

Since you have a Volume error, I would start by checking what's in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Volumes.  You should see a subkey in there for each volume in your server (the total number of volumes should be the total number of hard drives plus 1).  (My guess is you will find your volume total is total number of hard drives plus 2.)  Each of those should have a String Value called SystemName.  Chances are if you go through each of those, you will find a SystemName that matches the exact GUID you have in your error message (this would be the suspicious one obviously).  Also, each key has a String Value called MountPoint.  I would check to see if the path shown in the MountPoint exists for the suspicious entry (and my guess is it won't exist).  (NOTE:  Obviously backup your registry before you do the next step.  :)  )  If the MountPoint doesn't exist, delete the entire GUID associated with that volume, then reboot the server.  NOTE:  This is unsupported and could do more harm than good to your server.  Obviously all of this is done at your own risk, so be careful.
    Friday, August 7, 2009 1:42 PM