Comment - Microsoft Tagspace RRS feed

• General discussion

• As I understand the concept being pushed here with this Tagspace concept (What's in Name?)

- Search MS extensive online resources

- Bookmark/tag them here online

- Share your Categories/Titles and Urls with others online (that is - data-mine and catalogue your search results (as one sees fit)

- And in so doing we all end up benefiting from the online activities of Internet Communities and their members

- Does that benefit, to the individual on the basis of their free and random contributions, include or preclude monetary compensation for contributors?

- Someone's going to be in control of the database results which then has the potential to be a monetary goldmine for the contributors or the data-miners?

- Not the least bit interested in Social Networks if it will eventually devolve into yet another advertising stream for corporations that now inundate our lives with incessant and often banal advertisements - EVERYWHERE

- WiKi .... with a twist?

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 10:53 AM

All replies

• Hi, Simon--

To respond to your questions/comments, interesting all:

- Does that benefit, to the individual on the basis of their free and random contributions, include or preclude monetary compensation for contributors?

We aren't interested in producing a system based on monetary compensation, whether for contributors or Microsoft, though it is possible that contributors could benefit indirectly in this way (say, by discovering others in the industry with whom to do business, etc.). We aren't building this system to 'monetize' it; our interest is in fostering connections between people through the medium of the online content that interests them.

- Someone's going to be in control of the database results which then has the potential to be a monetary goldmine for the contributors or the data-miners?

See my answer above. Yes, we'd have the database, but we plan to make its contents available to anyone, pretty much, whether through a public Web service or a "REST" interface. Again, the interest is in helping and connecting, not in profiting. 

- Not the least bit interested in Social Networks if it will eventually devolve into yet another advertising stream for corporations that now inundate our lives with incessant and often banal advertisements - EVERYWHERE

I agree completely. We're already seeing this sort of thing happen with RSS and other technologies; and of course a number of these 'social' sites use advertising to keep afloat. We honestly wouldn't be acting in the interests of the community (or in the broader interests of Microsoft) if we were to make rather cynical use of the community technologies we purport to build.

- WiKi .... with a twist?
    Wiki is a related community technology, and I think there may be a connection--depends on what you mean...?

Thursday, January 25, 2007 10:58 PM