Back Up Issue RRS feed

• Question

• I recently started using the WHS but have run into a snag. When my computer tried to back up it failed (didnt want it to anyway). Now i cant get rid of the security dialog that pops up when ever i turn on my computer. Is there a way to silence or at least close the error dialogs that show up when something fails? It just keeps saying my network is at risk and is a little annoying.
    Tuesday, March 27, 2007 1:56 AM

Answers

• Short-term, you can eliminate the pop-ups by right clicking the Windows Home server icon in the system tray and selecting Exit. Long-term, you can prevent the annoying popups by removing the Windows Home Server item from your startup group and rebooting. That won't prevent the warnings in the console on other computers; the only thing that's likely to do that is removal of the computer from WHS entirely using a registry edit or this tool by another beta tester.

But to be honest, the popups are probably annoying and hard to get rid of for a reason. Given the main target audience (technically unsophisticated users), if the warning can be turned off and ignored, rather than dealing with it, that's what will usually happen. Then the user will be upset and disappointed when something fails completely and they lose data. I went through this with my wife a few months ago, when she started having disk errors on her home PC. She didn't tell me until the disk failed entirely (a couple of weeks after the first errors and instability), and then complained bitterly that I couldn't recover all her files off the dead drive. I wish the WHS beta program had been available then; I'd doubtless be bowing down and kissing the feet of the development team.
    Tuesday, March 27, 2007 2:59 PM

All replies

• Check the many posts in Software category of this forum for similar problems.

I don't think, there is any solution to this. Some are getting these notifications even after cleanly removing the machine entry even from the registry. I suppose you may have to look in at Windows Scheduler as well.

ThanQ...

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 2:50 AM
  • Short-term, you can eliminate the pop-ups by right clicking the Windows Home server icon in the system tray and selecting Exit. Long-term, you can prevent the annoying popups by removing the Windows Home Server item from your startup group and rebooting. That won't prevent the warnings in the console on other computers; the only thing that's likely to do that is removal of the computer from WHS entirely using a registry edit or this tool by another beta tester.

But to be honest, the popups are probably annoying and hard to get rid of for a reason. Given the main target audience (technically unsophisticated users), if the warning can be turned off and ignored, rather than dealing with it, that's what will usually happen. Then the user will be upset and disappointed when something fails completely and they lose data. I went through this with my wife a few months ago, when she started having disk errors on her home PC. She didn't tell me until the disk failed entirely (a couple of weeks after the first errors and instability), and then complained bitterly that I couldn't recover all her files off the dead drive. I wish the WHS beta program had been available then; I'd doubtless be bowing down and kissing the feet of the development team.
    Tuesday, March 27, 2007 2:59 PM