installed new SSD and cloned from acronis (2tb down to 160GB SSD)...WHS backups not working now RRS feed

• Question

• Guys I have been reading and reading and i think i have found some partial answers to my problems.  I have WHS V1 and have been backing up 5 PC's perfectly for over a year.  I finally made the plunge and bought an Intel 320 160 GB solid state drive for my main HP desktop.  I had a WD 2TB Black drive in there before the upgrade.  I used the intel clone software (which is acronis) to move the 2tb to the 160GB SSD.

The PC works great after some tweaks and things i found on some forums(see below for site), but the backup stopped working immediately.

After about a month of research and reading i have found the problem i think but dont know how to fix it the right way.  In WHS backup configuration i had to deselect everything but the C: and D: drive in order for a backup to actually be able to be completed.  This is what I show in the volumes to be backed up:

NAME    CAPACITY    USED      LOCATION     STATUS

SYSTEM   52MB      28.2MB      INTERNAL

SYSTEM   54.88MB  28.12MB   UNKNOWN     NOT CONNECTED

C: (HP)   139.56GB  82.42GB   INTERNAL

D: (Factory_Image) 9.44GB  9.04GB  INTERNAL

D: (factory_Image)  9.44GB  9.04GB  UNKNOWN  NOT CONNECTED

If i select the "SYSTEM" selection, it hangs at 0% and eventually fails. 

If i deselect it and only select c: and D: ( NOT the ones that show location= unknown) it runs fine. 

If i select the D: drive with the "location= unknown" it fails at 45% and says volume is currently missing..event log contains volume name.

SO HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS:

1. Why am i showing those 2 selections where status shows Location "unknown" and status "not connected"?  Do i need them and if not how do i get rid of them?

2.  Why is the SYSTEM selection causing the backup process to fail?  Is it because i had to align the SSD and that messed something up?  I followed some instructions from this site below in order to set up the SSD.  I'm not sure i actually have the SSD aligned correctly though.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-guide-optimization-for-ssds-hdds

3.  How do i know if my SSD is aligned correctly and running the best it can.  I really want to make sure i have it set up correctly and running as fast and reliable as I can.

I am running W7 PRO on this desktop and it is SATA2 MOBO.

I want to get this sorted out before i add in an old 1TB green drive for storage.  Thanks so much for any help you guys can give me.  Really appreciate it!!

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 2:09 PM

Answers

• Probably the SYSTEM partition is too small; when Windows 7 is installed from scratch, on an uninitialized HDD, it creates a 100 MB partition for the system. If you don't back up this partition, you'll wind up needing to use the Windows 7 recovery console after a bare metal restore, because this partition is where the Windows boot loader is. This isn't extremely convenient, but at this point I don't think there's much point in going through the cloning process again.

As for the drives shown: your server know about, and keeps track of, the drives it detects. When you swapped out the HDD for the SSD, your server saw that as the removal of one drive, and the adding of another. So when you attempt to back up a drive that shows "not connected", it fails because the physical drive isn't there any more. As for "How do you get rid of them?", you don't, or at least not in any way that is even remotely supported. Just ignore them: don't back them up, don't restore them if you should ever need to restore your system, etc.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by chewybtc Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:59 AM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 7:09 PM
  • Thanks Ken.  Well, thats good info on the "not connected" drives.  Never knew that.  I will just ignore them.

As per the SYSTEM partition.  I got this ISO that i made into a bootable DVD thats called Parted Magic CD.  I haven't tried but might in a bit to see if i can enlarge that partition using that disc.

Thats what i used to alin the SSD using this post from this website:

http://dfarq.homeip.net/2010/12/how-to-align-your-ssd-or-raid-array-for-free/

I have no idea if i did it right because the main C: partition shows errors in that program, i will try it again soon.  Thanks

UPDATE:  I am messing with that Parted Magic CD and had to make a bunch of different moves/resizes, but it is on its final resize/move now and things are looking good.  Not holding my breath until i can boot from it and get WHS to do full backup of all 3 partitions, but we'll see.  I made the SYSTEM 100MB and left the D: FACTORY alone.  So the C: got slightly bigger.

The program didn't find the error on the C: partition this time, so some how it got fixed.  Who knows.  Update later.

UPDATE:  OK got the SYSTEM to finally go to 100MB and moved everything in line with it and now all seem to be aligned the way they should (start number is divisible by 4096).  Had to let windows fix MBR with the install disc but after that it booted fine.

Now i have a couple other "not connected" drives, but i selected the 3 partitions and ran a manual backup and it worked.  SO we'll see if the automatics go off without issue over the next couple days.  Thanks for the help!

Bryan

• Edited by chewybtc Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by chewybtc Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:58 AM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 9:25 PM

All replies

• Probably the SYSTEM partition is too small; when Windows 7 is installed from scratch, on an uninitialized HDD, it creates a 100 MB partition for the system. If you don't back up this partition, you'll wind up needing to use the Windows 7 recovery console after a bare metal restore, because this partition is where the Windows boot loader is. This isn't extremely convenient, but at this point I don't think there's much point in going through the cloning process again.

As for the drives shown: your server know about, and keeps track of, the drives it detects. When you swapped out the HDD for the SSD, your server saw that as the removal of one drive, and the adding of another. So when you attempt to back up a drive that shows "not connected", it fails because the physical drive isn't there any more. As for "How do you get rid of them?", you don't, or at least not in any way that is even remotely supported. Just ignore them: don't back them up, don't restore them if you should ever need to restore your system, etc.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by chewybtc Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:59 AM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 7:09 PM
  • Thanks Ken.  Well, thats good info on the "not connected" drives.  Never knew that.  I will just ignore them.

As per the SYSTEM partition.  I got this ISO that i made into a bootable DVD thats called Parted Magic CD.  I haven't tried but might in a bit to see if i can enlarge that partition using that disc.

Thats what i used to alin the SSD using this post from this website:

http://dfarq.homeip.net/2010/12/how-to-align-your-ssd-or-raid-array-for-free/

I have no idea if i did it right because the main C: partition shows errors in that program, i will try it again soon.  Thanks

UPDATE:  I am messing with that Parted Magic CD and had to make a bunch of different moves/resizes, but it is on its final resize/move now and things are looking good.  Not holding my breath until i can boot from it and get WHS to do full backup of all 3 partitions, but we'll see.  I made the SYSTEM 100MB and left the D: FACTORY alone.  So the C: got slightly bigger.

The program didn't find the error on the C: partition this time, so some how it got fixed.  Who knows.  Update later.

UPDATE:  OK got the SYSTEM to finally go to 100MB and moved everything in line with it and now all seem to be aligned the way they should (start number is divisible by 4096).  Had to let windows fix MBR with the install disc but after that it booted fine.

Now i have a couple other "not connected" drives, but i selected the 3 partitions and ran a manual backup and it worked.  SO we'll see if the automatics go off without issue over the next couple days.  Thanks for the help!

Bryan

• Edited by chewybtc Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by chewybtc Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:58 AM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 9:25 PM
  • Just wanted to let everyone know that it works perfectly now,  Backup goes off with out error.  Thanks for the help!
    Bryan
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 4:13 PM