PhotoSync for WHS Beta2 is now Available! RRS feed

• General discussion

• I just finished up the 2nd Beta for PhotoSync for WHS.  (See this post for an overview of what PhotoSync is)

The new version has several tweaks, bug fixes and the following enhancements, based on community feedback:

• Ability to name Flickr Images based on the file name
    • Ability to automatically create Flickr 'Sets' based on the folder name
    • Ability to set Flickr photo permissions (Public, Friend, Family)
    • Allow selection of any WHS Shared folders as the sync folder 
    • Automatic upload throttling to keep large amounts of photos from bogging down your Internet connection
    • Ability to disable PhotoSync from the WHS console
    More info and download are available here:
    http://edholloway.com/Blog/archive/2007/06/21/PhotoSync-Beta2-for-Windows-Home-Server-is-Available_2100_.aspx

Enjoy!
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 6:07 PM

All replies

• Ed,

We had talked about this before...but are there any new plans to make this compatible with Google's Picasa and their web based photo albums? Is it even possible to implement?

I use Picasa extensively for years and prefer it over Flickr.

Nice add-in!
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 11:48 AM
  • Hi Judge,

I would like to get it 'feature complete' for Flickr before I build any conduits to other sharing sites. But, yes, I am open to adding Picasa or other photo sites if there is enough community interest.

And, thanks for the compliment, glad you are enjoying it.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 5:24 PM
  • I'm still unable to sync with flickr.  After upgrading to PhotoSync beta 2.  how can I help troubleshoot?
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 5:31 PM
  • it works great Ed, dont use flickr myself but created an account and up loaded some pics in folders and everything has uploaded correctly, great addin

kev

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 6:25 PM
  • @jstueve - I sent a mail to you last week with some instructions (I used the email address you left on my blog), if you did not get it, please email me Ed -at, Holloway *dott* net

Also, if you are using a free Flickr account, can you make sure you haven't gone over your monthly upload limit for the month?

@kevinp - Glad you like it, thanks!

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 7:53 PM
  • Ed,

Your add-in has great potential and I am anxiously awaiting subsequent versions. One thing that would be excellent is if you would be able to show that you have reached your monthly upload limit. It seems that with the current beta2 version that once you reach your limit the status messages in the WHS Console show "Not In Sync". This may be moot if you have a paid flickr subscription but I don't have one yet.

Thanks again for your efforts, I know you are a busy guy with you new family obligations and I am sure work obligations are an issue also.

Robert

Saturday, June 30, 2007 3:37 PM
  • Hi

I can't get the add-in to work!

I installed over beta 1 on WHS RC1, but it didn't upload any files! I changed the directory to one with only 4 photos as a test, but it has only uploaded 1 file. I have  FLcikr Pro account.

What could I be doing wrong?

Cheers

JQ

Sunday, July 1, 2007 4:55 AM
  • @Robert - Thanks!  I have the code done to display upload % used, so it will be in the next release.

@JQ - if you'll email me at ed AT Holloway dot net, I'll be happy to help you troubleshoot the problem.

-Ed

Sunday, July 1, 2007 12:27 PM
  • I also have problems. No photos ever get synced. I have all my photos in folders under the photos share. I configure the plug in to sync that folder with my flickr pro account, and to do it every 15mins.

Nothing ever happens Sad

Monday, July 2, 2007 11:58 AM
  • Same here... I loaded my photos into the Share folder, authorized Flickr again (it remembered I was already authorized from last time I reinstalled), and since then, nothing.

Would be a great feature to have a "Synch Now!" button to force the process to start.

Event Viewer | Application says Service Started Successfully about three hours ago.
    Wednesday, July 4, 2007 10:33 PM
  • try deleting the hidden system file (thumbs.db) in any of the directories that you are syncing.

I was able to finally get mine to sync by deleting thumbs.db then manually restarting the service.

Cheers,

Friday, July 6, 2007 12:50 AM
  • AWESOME! This did the trick.

For those who have a zillion sub-folders under SHARES/PHOTOS like I do, here's what I did:

- Open a command prompt on the WHS machine
    - set default to Photos by:
    D: <enter>
    CD \Shares\Photos <enter>
    - Remove the system and hidden flags from the thumbs.DB files
    ATTRIB -H -S thumbs.DB /S  <enter>
    - Delete them
    DEL /S thumbs.DB

Then stop and restart the Photosync service. My pics are flying up as I type!

Thanks so much for the tip.
    Friday, July 6, 2007 3:29 AM
  • Hi all,

Right, i've done some tests, and if there are any files other than JPG's in any of the directories, then Photosync will not sync anything.

Ed, i think you'll have to make beta 3 ignore any non Jpeg files...  My photo folders have some different files types in there such as AVI's when my camera has recorded video, and .CR2 for when my SLR is in raw mode (which i obviously don't want to delete!)

Is that possible?

Cheers

JQ

Friday, July 6, 2007 8:50 AM
  • Well, not JUST jpg's... but things that Flickr can handle (gif, PNG, jpg, bmp?)
    Friday, July 6, 2007 3:59 PM
  • Folks,

First, thanks to those of you who have sent me log files, screenshots, file listings, etc.. and worked through this with me. I think with all the input, we have narrowed it down to a few (easily fixable) issues.

From what I am seeing, there are a few issues here:

1) Non-Image files - I will update the code to ignore any non-image files in the code, and make sure the sync tool does not attempt to upload them (This is only an issue when using Flickr sets)

2) Non-Alpha Numeric characters in folder names - It appears Flickr sets do not like non alpha/numeric names (Such as "Ed's Photos") for set names. Unfortunately, their API does not throw an error here, so I'll need to clean the names up before uploading them (I will not rename your existing folders, just the Flickr Set name (eg Ed's Photos becomes Eds Photos).

3) There are a few other idiosyncrasies when using Flickr sets - I am working through those as well, and figuring out the best ways to handle them in an automated fashion.

I will probably do a 'patch update' (manual file copy) and ask those of you who were having trouble to try it out for a few days. If it looks like that solved the issues, I'll create a new full release soon.

Thanks again to everyone who provided the input and feedback!

-Ed

Friday, July 6, 2007 5:34 PM
  • Ed, I just want to say thanks for working on this cool tool! WHS is exciting and smart add-ins like this only make it better. Thanks for taking it to the next level before WHS even launches! We appreciate all your work.

Eric
    Saturday, July 7, 2007 1:53 AM
  • Hi Ed,

Any update on photosync woring with non flickr files...?

Cheers

JQ

Friday, July 27, 2007 9:38 PM
  • Ed,

Thanks for all of your hard work on this...

Flickr should pay you for the service Smile

I joined with a Pro membership because of your add in Smile

Any update on that patch? With as many images as I have, it is to hard to find all the names with special characters

Thans for the help

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 12:01 PM
  • Hi All,

Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad everyone is enjoying the Add-in.

I thought I would have long had the patch out by now, but I found some other nuances and issues once I got in there, and decided it would be best to get them all knocked out at once, tested,  and release the V1 product.

I am wrapping up a few other projects, and should be able to get back to final testing on this real soon.

If anyone with a current Beta2 install is interested in testing the patch, please shoot me an email and I'll put you on the list.

ed
    AT
    Holloway
    dt net

Thanks again,
    -Ed

Thursday, August 23, 2007 9:44 PM
  •  

any updates since beta 2?
    Friday, February 1, 2008 2:45 AM
  • Ed
      I too use Picasa more than flickr so a Picasa interface would be awesome. I can help with coding/gathering Picasa APIs etc. Do you plan to release your source code on codeplex or any place else ????

Thanks
    dear chap
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 12:28 AM
  • Is Photosync dead in the water?

Seems like there is no news on it for the last 6 months or so.

Saturday, December 20, 2008 5:24 AM
  • Doesn't seem to work on my HP MediaSmart WHS.  doesn't push anything up to my Flickr pro account.  Any developments or help?  where can I find the log for it?

Thanks.
    -Peter
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 6:59 PM