Seagate Harddrive Notice RRS feed

• General discussion

• I searched for this info in the forums and didn't find it so I thought I would post it here as an awareness for people using Seagate drives.  The problem is a firmware problem where after a re-boot the drive becomes undetectable by the BIOS.  There is no easy or cheap way to recover, although I'm beginning to see some stories that Seagate will do it for free.  Your data is not lost, just can't get to it without a specilized setup.  The new firmware is supposed to be out soon.  So make sure important files are backed up somewhere else.

Here is the place with KB article.

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=207931

Saturday, January 17, 2009 8:06 PM

All replies

• I just rebuilt my WHS with two brand new Seagate 1.5TB drives. Now I find all my files and backups are immediately at risk! What a PITA.

Unfortunately Seagate tech support is in a complete mess dealing with this.

The tool which tells you whether you have one of the affected drives has disappeared! It was there last night. Now it's gone! No explanation.

From reading the Seagate Community forums, the company is not communicating clearly with its users.

Users are desperately trying to get the firmware update, but Seagate is slowly releasing it on a user by user basis.

The firmware update support page is broken.

Seagate's support website is collapsing under the strain!

Threads around the Internet on this issue are ballooning in size.

BTW Seatools just gives your drive serial number. The online tool which was there last night, but now gone, told you whether you had an affected drive after you entered the serial number.

Monday, January 19, 2009 2:07 PM
  • Have they released the new firmware?  I haven't read the forums yet today.  I've got 2 1TB drives in my HP server.  I'll have to take them out probably and put them in another computer or external USB if you can do that.to do the update.
    Monday, January 19, 2009 8:58 PM
  • The Seagate files are being taken down due to reports of the firmware update 'bricking' numerous drives, especially the smaller 500GB drives.
    link
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 5:47 PM