none
We need a forum for 'hybrid' applications.

Question

• We need a forum for 'hybrid' applications, hacks, or whatever you want to call oddball projects that don't fit into nice neat catagories. 

(I seem to attract this sort of project.)

I suddenly find myself trying to get a web application and a ClickOnce Winforms application to work together, by means of the web application doing a System.Diagnostics.Process.Start call. 

I find myself bouncing back and forth between the Asp.Net and Winforms forums but there's no place that really fits.

Thursday, December 15, 2011 2:02 PM

All replies

• I suggest you to post question based on the area of help you need, not based on application type. 

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Friday, December 30, 2011 10:53 PM
  • ???

That is the area of help I need.

Friday, December 30, 2011 11:00 PM
  • Your area is a combination of areas...Or are you talking about the interface between them (the click once launcher)?

You need to identifying what is related to your problem. For example, ASP.Net generates HTML, if your question still exists after you remove ASP.Net and hardcode the HTML, then your question has nothing to do with ASP.Net.

Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Friday, December 30, 2011 11:08 PM
  • Well in this specific case the Asp.net C# side has to generate code to call the ClickOnce side.

But at the risk of repeating myself, I was not suggesting a forum specifically for Asp.Net/ClickOnce interaction. 

I was suggesting a sort of grab-bag forum for all non-standard cross platform interactions.  Asp.Net/ClickOnce just happens to be the one I'm currently working on. 

Friday, December 30, 2011 11:21 PM
  • Then it has to generate some HTML specific to ClickOnce so you need to have two questions

1 What is the HTML expected by clickonce launcher

2 How to generate the specified HTML in ASP.Net

There is no need of this kind of forum if you identify and isolate the steps using divide and conquer. You do not need an ASP.Net programmer to help you on ClickOnce or a ClickOnce programmer to help you to generate HTML. If you limit yourself to people who are familiar with both, you are excluding the people who can help you. If you need help in divide and conquer, you probably want to post in a software design forum as software architects are good at breaking things down.

Windows Forms has nothing to do with your problem, by the way. Your problem remains the same even if you switch to WPF.

Visual C++ MVP
    Friday, December 30, 2011 11:29 PM