new RAID-5 Volume is not a listed option RRS feed

Answers

• On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 12:43:17 +0000, dueker1 wrote:

1. selected Server Manager, select storage, then disk management, 2. right click on the drive I want to include in the RAID-5 volume 3. 'new RAID-5 volume" is not listed.

Is the disk in question marked as being Basic or Dynamic? All disks (and
    you need a minimum of 3, all of which need to be unallocated space) need to
    be Dynamic disks.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Hardware:  Typically boots, leather, and chains.  Contrast with software.

• Marked as answer by dueker1 Thursday, August 18, 2011 6:57 PM
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 12:48 PM
  • As Paul says, you need three unallocated dynamic disks to create a RAID 5 array using Server Management.

That said, is there a reason you're trying to set up a RAID array? Other than "a learning experience", that is? :) If it's a question of overall data priotection, look into server backup. This will let you rotate backup disks off-site, which gives you much more data protection, since any local protection solution doesn't protect against force majeure events like your house (or your server) burning up, flood, theft, acts of war or God, etc.

If you really need local data protection I think you'd be much better served by buying a good RAID HBA and three or more enterprise-class disks, and building a hardware array. It will typically be much more reliable and deliver better performance. Some HBAs (more expensive ones, of course) support nice features like online RAID Level Migration and Online Capacity Expansion.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 1:47 PM

All replies

• On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 12:43:17 +0000, dueker1 wrote:

1. selected Server Manager, select storage, then disk management, 2. right click on the drive I want to include in the RAID-5 volume 3. 'new RAID-5 volume" is not listed.

Is the disk in question marked as being Basic or Dynamic? All disks (and
    you need a minimum of 3, all of which need to be unallocated space) need to
    be Dynamic disks.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Hardware:  Typically boots, leather, and chains.  Contrast with software.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 12:48 PM
  • As Paul says, you need three unallocated dynamic disks to create a RAID 5 array using Server Management.

That said, is there a reason you're trying to set up a RAID array? Other than "a learning experience", that is? :) If it's a question of overall data priotection, look into server backup. This will let you rotate backup disks off-site, which gives you much more data protection, since any local protection solution doesn't protect against force majeure events like your house (or your server) burning up, flood, theft, acts of war or God, etc.

If you really need local data protection I think you'd be much better served by buying a good RAID HBA and three or more enterprise-class disks, and building a hardware array. It will typically be much more reliable and deliver better performance. Some HBAs (more expensive ones, of course) support nice features like online RAID Level Migration and Online Capacity Expansion.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 1:47 PM