A licensing question (Migrated from community.research.microsoft.com) RRS feed

• Question

• tflora posted on 01-08-2009 8:11 PM

When I purchase Songsmith, will I be able to install on my daughter's computer as well without having to purchase another license?

Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:25 PM

Answers

• dmorris replied on 01-28-2009 2:14 PM

The license is for just one machine and one portable device (a laptop for example).  I wish we could give you a more liberal view of the license, but as soon as we open the license up to gray areas and interpretation, we're on a slippery slope, so we have to tell you what's in the license.  One machine + one portable device.

Glad you like the product!

Happy Songsmith'ing!

-Dan

All replies

• dmorris replied on 01-09-2009 2:13 AM

We're so happy to hear that you're excited about the product, and that you want to share it with your daughter!

The  Songsmith license is per-machine (except that you can use the same license on both your primary computer and a portable machine used primarily by you).  So you will need to purchase another license if you want to install it on another computer where your daughter is the main user.  Of course, you can put the free trial onto your daughter's machine and let her try it out first.  We hope she loves it too!

I can't tell you how happy we are that you want to share the Songsmith music-making experience with your daughter... so please send us some of the songs that you and your family create...

Thanks!

-Dan

• tflora replied on 01-09-2009 10:48 AM

Thanks for the response, Dan. So what I'm hearing is that I could use 1 license to cover my desktop computer as well as my laptop. Is that correct? I'm a working musician (Nashville session singer and tour with George Strait) and would like to turn on my fellow musicians to this wonderful (and I'm sure continually improving) tool.

• dmorris replied on 01-09-2009 1:41 PM

Yes, that's exactly right.

Thanks for your enthusiasm, and thanks for trying Songsmith!

-Dan

• jehovah replied on 01-27-2009 2:42 AM

Dan,

I'm a musician that uses two desktops and a laptop (one desktop is unconnected to the internet and entirely for music).  Can I install on all three?  They're all mine and only mine.  Thanks!

• dmorris replied on 01-28-2009 2:14 PM

The license is for just one machine and one portable device (a laptop for example).  I wish we could give you a more liberal view of the license, but as soon as we open the license up to gray areas and interpretation, we're on a slippery slope, so we have to tell you what's in the license.  One machine + one portable device.

Glad you like the product!

Happy Songsmith'ing!

-Dan