Permissions on sync'ed files RRS feed

• Question

• It appears that files synchronised through Live Mesh are given default ACLs (permissions) on the target computer, rather than inheriting the permissions from the synchronised folder.

In this specific case, the folder is given read permissions to Account A, while Live Mesh is running under Account B. All the files in the folder are readable by Account A. When a file in the mesh changes, and the Live Mesh client downloads the change, the file's permissions will be reset to Account B's default permissions, and Account A can no longer read the file.

I don't know that I'd consider this a bug, but it's certainly unexpected. It's also preventing the use of Live Mesh for this scenario (remote updates to webserver files). Is this the intended behaviour? Is there any workaround to ensure that Live Mesh respects inheritable ACLs?
    Wolf Logan, MSFT
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 8:53 AM

Answers

• Hi Wolf,

Would you mind opening a bug for us through Connect (instructions are in an Announcement at the top of the forums)?

Thanks,

Ben.
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 6:38 PM

All replies

• I would agree with you that that is unexpected behaviour.

I think the files should be inheriting the permissions if the folder has set to propogate permissions to childs.
    Luke K - Microsoft MSP
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 2:00 PM
  • Hi Wolf,

Would you mind opening a bug for us through Connect (instructions are in an Announcement at the top of the forums)?

Thanks,

Ben.
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 6:38 PM
  • Done
    Wolf Logan, MSFT
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 3:19 AM
  • Any updates on this? It seems to be the root of the issue I am having with Media Center & Xbox - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/LiveMesh/thread/7976af9f-7d51-4d55-a391-5691aa3bcd14/
    Monday, January 12, 2009 5:17 PM
  • I have the same issue, Live Mesh is a great way for me to upate my work web project without remote login (which is impossible otherwise because they won't let me VPN), but whenever I change a file the permissions get messed up and I have to manually force down the permissions from a higher-level folder.
    It's annoying and unwanted.
    MCP - studying hard to become an MCSE
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 2:19 PM
  • I have the same issue, Live Mesh is a great way for me to upate my work web project without remote login (which is impossible otherwise because they won't let me VPN), but whenever I change a file the permissions get messed up and I have to manually force down the permissions from a higher-level folder.
    It's annoying and unwanted.
    MCP - studying hard to become an MCSE
    Live Mesh has been messing up my HomeGroup permissions as well.
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:18 PM
  • Live Mesh has been messing up my HomeGroup permissions as well.

Could you clarify this? Live Mesh brings the file permissions from the PC that changed the file, so that can be an issue, but your overall HomeGroup permissions should be be affected. Files within the folders that you are sharing via the HomeGroup (or with standard File and Printer sharing in Windows) can get their permissions changed to restricted because they were synchronized from a PC where the local permissions were applied and then the files came over Live Mesh with those permissions.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:25 PM
  • Live Mesh has been messing up my HomeGroup permissions as well.

Could you clarify this? Live Mesh brings the file permissions from the PC that changed the file, so that can be an issue, but your overall HomeGroup permissions should be be affected. Files within the folders that you are sharing via the HomeGroup (or with standard File and Printer sharing in Windows) can get their permissions changed to restricted because they were synchronized from a PC where the local permissions were applied and then the files came over Live Mesh with those permissions.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator

I have several folders in a Live Mesh Folder configured so that the entire folder has Read/Write permissions in the HomeGroup. However, when creating a new file within that directory it will have the same permissions as everything else but other computers syncronizing to the folder will mark it with a lock and readable by "Nobody" in the HomeGroup. I'm assuming that's the same situation you're describing. It would be nice if Live Mesh could recognize HomeGroup permissions on Windows 7 and mark files accordingly when the synchronize.
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 6:17 PM
  • Yes, that's the situation. Basically, the permissions are brought to all devices with the file from the PC that modified or created the file and the original permissions for the folder, part of a HomeGroup, are ignored at the file level. It is a pain.
    -steve
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 12:33 PM