none
Gallery Contributor – Achievement RRS feed

• Question

• According to the published  info - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/ff395928#How_do_I_earn_points_

you need to have 3xPublished a Contribution and 500xGallery Contribution Download to get Silver.  And you need to have move “downloads” to get Gold.  But what is this “download” option?  Where is this “download” option?  If you don’t have an attachment, they won’t be able to download anything.  So most of the Gallery has “0” downloads.  That doesn’t mean that people are not using these codes. 

Even if you have attachment most of the people just copy and paste the code. They don’t bother to “download” the code.  In my opinion, you should change download requirement to “Volume”, “Hits” or “Page View”.

• Edited by David Sham Friday, September 2, 2011 4:10 PM
    Friday, September 2, 2011 4:09 PM

Answers

• Currently the only items available for review are on the Visual Studio Gallery. The TechNet Script Center Repository only has options for Description and Q&A as you listed above.  I submitted a request to TNGFeedback@microsoft.com to have the Review functionality added to the ScriptCenter.  For now, we will just have to wait until that functionality is added.  And I agree that it is much needed.  I have had comments for quite a few scripts that were not questions, but I had to leave them in the Q&A section for lack of a better place.
    If you found this post helpful, please "Vote as Helpful". If it answered your question, remember to "Mark as Answer".

Rich Prescott | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

[Blog] Engineering Efficiency | [Twitter] @Rich_Prescott | [Powershell GUI] Client System Administration toolkit
    • Proposed as answer by Sean Jenkin Wednesday, September 7, 2011 5:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by David Sham Saturday, October 1, 2011 11:06 AM
    Monday, September 5, 2011 7:59 PM

All replies

• Appreciate the feedback David. The idea behind the gallery is to have something downloadable but your point is well made. We'll continue to review the usage patterns and adjust recognition over time.

Friday, September 2, 2011 5:19 PM
  • Thanks Sean.  Appreciate your response.

Here is another one

Gallery Reviewer II - Silver - 3xReviewed a Gallery Contribution and 10xRated a Gallery Contribution

What is the “Review” option?  There is no “Review” option in Gallery..only “Rate” option.

• Edited by David Sham Friday, September 2, 2011 7:29 PM
    Friday, September 2, 2011 7:17 PM
  • Gallery reviews can be done on the visual studio gallery. http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/

• Proposed as answer by Nik SS Saturday, June 28, 2014 3:08 AM
    Friday, September 2, 2011 10:43 PM
  • Thank Sean. I think we are talking about 2 different Galleries here.  I was talking about this http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/

I am a server guy not developer.  Can you show me how can I review this script? http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/e42bbb01-3c17-4056-b9f7-c3b5175a9df9

Or where can I find documentation on this procedure?

In the developer version you have Description, Reviews and Q&A  options but in poor man’s version (:-)) we have only Description and Q&A

I think that is the issue here.  You guys are always thinking from a developer perspective.  I saw a “download” button in the VisualStudio Gallery.  In the Scripting Gallery there is no “download” button and we are not going get any credit for using this script. 

• Edited by David Sham Friday, September 2, 2011 11:42 PM
    Friday, September 2, 2011 11:33 PM
  • Currently the only items available for review are on the Visual Studio Gallery. The TechNet Script Center Repository only has options for Description and Q&A as you listed above.  I submitted a request to TNGFeedback@microsoft.com to have the Review functionality added to the ScriptCenter.  For now, we will just have to wait until that functionality is added.  And I agree that it is much needed.  I have had comments for quite a few scripts that were not questions, but I had to leave them in the Q&A section for lack of a better place.
    If you found this post helpful, please "Vote as Helpful". If it answered your question, remember to "Mark as Answer".

Rich Prescott | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

[Blog] Engineering Efficiency | [Twitter] @Rich_Prescott | [Powershell GUI] Client System Administration toolkit
    • Proposed as answer by Sean Jenkin Wednesday, September 7, 2011 5:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by David Sham Saturday, October 1, 2011 11:06 AM
    Monday, September 5, 2011 7:59 PM
  • So, here is is TWO YEARS LATER and, in Technet Script Center / Galleries, there is NO "review / discuss" button. There is really only an "ANSWER" (or Ask a Question) option. We want to be able to "Reply / comment" to gallery discussions and comments, but 90%+ of the time, replies and discussions are NOT "Answers" and yet, the only option we have is "ANSWER." ? Can you PLEASE add an option to these galleries that is "Reply" andl/or discuss, or along those lines? Or, change the ANSWER button to be ANSWER/REPLY and put in the option to "Mark as Answer" like in the blog sections and other sections?

I suppose it's okay as-is, but it really is confusing, since we are normally not "Answering," we are simply "Replying/commenting." Thanks.

tnjman

Monday, September 2, 2013 7:20 PM
  • Also, FYI, when you put in a "Code Snippet," make it just that - a SNIPPET - that is: "A small 'teaser section' of code" - the snippet should NOT be the ENTIRE script else, as you said, you won't get anybody to download your script.

I just published my first script in the Script Center section and, if you look at it (and PLEASE 'download it! ;-) as an example, you will see I placed only a SMALL, UNUSABLE section of code in the 'Code Snippet' section - it gives a feel for what is in the script but, as-is, it is not useful - thus, the only choice you have to get this INCREDIBLE SCRIPT is to actually 'download it.' Here it is: Remotely export local user SID from list of servers

Here's the 'partial code' (snippet) I included:

** Begin snippet **
    $fnm
    ="c:\sid.txt"  $computer=$args[0]  $username=$args[1]  $myuser=$args[2]  $mypass=$args[3]  #    $objUser = New-Object System.Security.Principal.NTAccount("$username")    $strSID = $objUser.Translate([System.Security.Principal.SecurityIdentifier])    $computer + ", " + $username + " sid:, " + $strSID.Value | Out-File -FilePath $fnm -force  }    Invoke-Command -Credential $cred 
    ** End snippet **

Note: It is, obviously, unusable and incomplete, but gives an idea of the script content. IMO,
    Technet should have a warning and maybe a "direct compare" of your 'code snippet' vs. your actual
    'submitted script' - if they are an exact match, you should be disallowed from submitting,
    until you make the snippet "different" from your full submission.

tnjman

Monday, September 2, 2013 7:31 PM