Adding capacity to server backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've started getting the information message stating that free capacity for the server backup is low . On one of the server disks there is a partition which is unused.

How can I add that partition to the one already allocated to the server backup ?

Thks in advance

FG

Monday, July 6, 2020 8:25 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What is your backup tool? Windows Server Backup or other 3rd tools.

If you use WSB, you can configure another backup task and change the backup target from the old to the new partition. We cannot set two backup target in one backup task.

If you don't want to change the backup targrt location, you can extend your old backup target location to add the capacity for backup.

After extend the partition, you can use the "vssadmin resize shadowstorage" to change the size for backup.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/vssadmin

BTW, if you want to extend the partition, you should delete the unused partition and make sure the unallocated space is in the left of the partition.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/01b0527e-4d1a-474e-8e6c-73a834b8f7ec/quotextend-volumequot-greyed-out?forum=winservergen

If you have anything unclear, please let me know.

Best  Regards,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact

Monday, July 6, 2020 9:53 AM
  • Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your response.

I'm  using the backup utility which is part of the WHS2011 package ; whether it's WSB or not, I'm unable to say.

In any case  I dont seem to have the option of setting up two different backup tasks for the server : I can choose which elements/(sub) directories I want to routinely back up and that's it.

From you answer I tunderstand that as a general rule there cant be 2 targets for one task, which would imply that my problem has no solution ...

I wonder what will happen if/when the available capacity for backing up the server  will be less than what's required ; I fear the worst

Regards

FG

Thursday, July 9, 2020 6:18 AM
  • What size is the backup disk? You are limited to a 2TB partition. I use two disks - when one is full, replace it with the second and it will back up to the new disk while the original contains previous backups should they be needed.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Monday, July 13, 2020 8:23 AM