FIREWALL RRS feed

• Question

• When I have my computer away from home basis, I'm able to receive emails but I cannot reply because Windows Live OneCare's firewall blocks it out. I need an immediately solution or I'll have to cancel my subscription and go to something like Norton. This is not  a thread!!! I need to be able to reply to emails. Just give me the path to do this.
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 10:56 PM

Answers

• The One Care firewall should not be blocking outgoing e-mail. If you turn off the firewall are you able to send e-mail? If when you are not on your home network does changing the network location from Public Place to Home or Work resolve the issue? To change the network location open One Care>Change Settings>Firewall>Advanced Settings>Network Connections>Change Location. If this does not resolve the issue I suggest contacting support. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 4:26 AM

All replies

• The One Care firewall should not be blocking outgoing e-mail. If you turn off the firewall are you able to send e-mail? If when you are not on your home network does changing the network location from Public Place to Home or Work resolve the issue? To change the network location open One Care>Change Settings>Firewall>Advanced Settings>Network Connections>Change Location. If this does not resolve the issue I suggest contacting support. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 4:26 AM
  • I've marked Jims post as the answer as it provides the link to OneCare support.
    However, I believe that your problem has nothing to do with OneCare. Most ISPs do not allow access to their SMTP server for sending mail when "Off network" which means connected to the Internet via any other connection than through your home ISP. They may have an alternate SMTP sending port or server.
    If OneCare was blocking your email, it would block it regardless of the Internet connection.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 4:31 PM