RDC into Vail server failing RRS feed

• Question

• I've been trying to get a remote desktop connection to my Vail test server, but it keeps refusing me with a "user account is not authorized for remote login" error. I'm using an account with all remote access options enabled, but it won't let me connect. Am I missing something here? Using the RDC client directly and through the server's website produces the same result.
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 3:45 PM

Answers

All replies

• You have to login to the desktop with administrator, not a user account.
    Grey
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 3:50 PM
  • You have to login to the desktop with administrator, not a user account.
    Grey
    Okay, that works. But it begs this question: if you're not allowed to login with the administrator on the website, why is an RDC session to the server even an option there?
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 3:53 PM
  • Because you, as the administrator might want to run the Dashboard from afar
    Grey
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 4:04 PM
  • Windows Home Server V1 is the same way. The Administrator account is "the keys to the kingdom". There's never a need for that account to log on through Remote Access, as the Dashboard is reachable by any user with the appropriate password and permissions, and isn't reachable otherwise. Also, please note that by default you can't reach your server from off your own network via remote desktop; the required port isn't forwarded in the router's firewall during server configuration.

Regarding accessing the Dashboard through the Remote Access web site, I submitted a bug yesterday where Windows 7 computers seem unable to do so. They get a permission denied type error. Vista computers are fine. I suspect some difference in configuration around the remote desktop ActiveX control that's used. If this describes your issue, a bug report of your own would perhaps be appropriate.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 4:12 PM
  • One thing to call out here, is that the text in the Add User Wizard is confusing and does “imply” that the user you are creating can connect to the dashboard.  We saw this late in the public beta, and opt’d not to fix it for the beta, but we’re making some text modifications for RTM that you’ll see and will reduce this confusion. 

You do need the password for the server (which is actually the “Administrator” account) to actually log into the dashboard, and this is the only account that can log into the dashboard.  This will stay the same for RTM.

Sean

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.

"Ken Warren" wrote in message news:4a652d21-b5bc-4613-b21c-749325ffcd6e...

Windows Home Server V1 is the same way. The Administrator account is "the keys to the kingdom". There's never a need for that account to log on through Remote Access, as the Dashboard is reachable by any user with the appropriate password and permissions, and isn't reachable otherwise. Also, please note that by default you can't reach your server from off your own network via remote desktop; the required port isn't forwarded in the router's firewall during server configuration.

Regarding accessing the Dashboard through the Remote Access web site, I submitted a bug yesterday where Windows 7 computers seem unable to do so. They get a permission denied type error. Vista computers are fine. I suspect some difference in configuration around the remote desktop ActiveX control that's used. If this describes your issue, a bug report of your own would perhaps be appropriate.

Thursday, April 29, 2010 11:08 PM
  • Windows Home Server V1 is the same way. The Administrator account is "the keys to the kingdom". There's never a need for that account to log on through Remote Access, as the Dashboard is reachable by any user with the appropriate password and permissions, and isn't reachable otherwise. Also, please note that by default you can't reach your server from off your own network via remote desktop; the required port isn't forwarded in the router's firewall during server configuration.

I just tried it from 7HP x64 and it worked fine for me.  However, note that the first time I tried though, it showed I was trying to login to the server as the user from the Remote Access PC.  Once I changed it from that user to Administrator (and the server password of course), it worked.  (The second attempt from that same remote PC showed the user as Administrator as the default so I didn't have to change it again.)
    Friday, April 30, 2010 1:32 AM
  • I saw that the first time, selected "another user" or "other user" (whichever it was), and entered the credentials for the server administrator. No go. But sometime this afternoon the issue resolved on it's own, and I now see the same thing you do. <shrug>
    Friday, April 30, 2010 3:44 AM