Windows Product Key identified as invalid, although I own the license; trying to rescue a computer fried by System Fix RRS feed

• Question

• One of my HP desktop PCs running Windows Home Premium (I think) picked up System Fix and it wrecked the computer. Windows refused to reload correctly/completely on PC Recovery, and I gave up and pulled my copy of MS Windows XP Professional that I bought some years ago.  I have the original Disc, in the original folder, with Product Key clearly visible on the yellow sticker. The "repair" install was going smoothly till it asked me to enter key. Now I just get a message the CD key is invalid.  I don't know what's wrong and don't know how to fix. At this point, the PC is useless unless I can get an OS running and begin reconfiguring.  Help??
    Friday, December 16, 2011 4:05 PM

Answers

• "fsheridan" wrote in message news:a0862cea-0fda-4755-b00c-236f4812225e...
    One of my HP desktop PCs running Windows Home Premium (I think) picked up System Fix and it wrecked the computer. Windows refused to reload correctly/completely on PC Recovery, and I gave up and pulled my copy of MS Windows XP Professional that I bought some years ago.  I have the original Disc, in the original folder, with Product Key clearly visible on the yellow sticker. The "repair" install was going smoothly till it asked me to enter key. Now I just get a message the CD key is invalid.  I don't know what's wrong and don't know how to fix. At this point, the PC is useless unless I can get an OS running and begin reconfiguring.  Help??

Is it an Upgrade disk?
    Does the disk match the Key?
    Are you sure that you read the Key right? – check the obvious misreads V/U 8/B etc..
    You can’t do a ‘repair’ install with a lower OS disk – you have to reformat first.

You should order a set of Recovery Disks from HP for your machine – that will get the machine back to ex-factory condition.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, December 20, 2011 10:31 PM
    Friday, December 16, 2011 4:20 PM

All replies

• "fsheridan" wrote in message news:a0862cea-0fda-4755-b00c-236f4812225e...
    One of my HP desktop PCs running Windows Home Premium (I think) picked up System Fix and it wrecked the computer. Windows refused to reload correctly/completely on PC Recovery, and I gave up and pulled my copy of MS Windows XP Professional that I bought some years ago.  I have the original Disc, in the original folder, with Product Key clearly visible on the yellow sticker. The "repair" install was going smoothly till it asked me to enter key. Now I just get a message the CD key is invalid.  I don't know what's wrong and don't know how to fix. At this point, the PC is useless unless I can get an OS running and begin reconfiguring.  Help??

Is it an Upgrade disk?
    Does the disk match the Key?
    Are you sure that you read the Key right? – check the obvious misreads V/U 8/B etc..
    You can’t do a ‘repair’ install with a lower OS disk – you have to reformat first.

You should order a set of Recovery Disks from HP for your machine – that will get the machine back to ex-factory condition.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, December 20, 2011 10:31 PM
    Friday, December 16, 2011 4:20 PM
  • No reply from the Original Poster.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 10:31 PM