The Device Has a Bad Block RRS feed

• Question

• Received an error message in the Event Viewer that "The device, \Device\Harddisk4, has a bad block."  I ran Ken Warren's .cmd file which took hours on the 4.5 tb but it completed and I hoped that would be it.  It did not seem to help the error that has continued thereafter.  I get this error and right next to it a second error "The shadow copies of volume C:\fs\14 were aborted because of an IO failure on volume C:\fs\14."

Would it be correct to assume Harddisk4 is drive 14?  If so, is there a way to again run chkdsk just on that drive so that I can better log the outcome of the run?  Other thoughts/recommendations?

BTW, WHS Console says all is "Healthy".
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 2:01 AM

Answers

• K, could you give me the commands?

chkdsk /r C:\fs\14

My real question is do I need process stop commands (for example backup) before the chkdsk command? 
    You should stop the same 2 services as Ken showed in his FAQ post.
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 4:00 AM

All replies

• Received an error message in the Event Viewer that "The device, \Device\Harddisk4, has a bad block."  I ran Ken Warren's .cmd file which took hours on the 4.5 tb but it completed and I hoped that would be it.  It did not seem to help the error that has continued thereafter.  I get this error and right next to it a second error "The shadow copies of volume C:\fs\14 were aborted because of an IO failure on volume C:\fs\14."

Would it be correct to assume Harddisk4 is drive 14?

It probably is (although it's possible you have 2 hard drives or a controller card failing which could produce the same errors).

If so, is there a way to again run chkdsk just on that drive so that I can better log the outcome of the run?

You should be able to see the chkdsk logs in the Application section of the Event Viewer on the server.  Having said that, you can run chkdsk /r against the volume mount point directly (in your case, C:\fs\14).

Other thoughts/recommendations?

BTW, WHS Console says all is "Healthy".

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 3:02 AM
  • K, could you give me the commands?  My real question is do I need process stop commands (for example backup) before the chkdsk command? 
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 3:13 AM
  • K, could you give me the commands?

chkdsk /r C:\fs\14

My real question is do I need process stop commands (for example backup) before the chkdsk command? 
    You should stop the same 2 services as Ken showed in his FAQ post.
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 4:00 AM