Can't activate product key RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am trying to renew my OneCare subscription using a purchased activation key.  However, the only option I am getting when I go through the "renew" process is for a free six-month extension because they are phasing out OneCare at the end of the year.  I've gone ahead and done the six-month free renew, but now I've been unable to return the OneCare the software (purchased through Buy.com - don't use!) because they say they don't accept returns on licensed products because I could activate it then try to get my money back.  So how would I be able to use the product key to renew for 12 months?  Microsoft should pull all of its OneCare products from retail sale (and notify sellers) so that this doesn't happen to anyone else.
    Friday, May 15, 2009 8:02 PM

Answers

• As Jim noted, we haven't heard of this before. I was under the impression that renewals would be allowed for many months more, but if your subscription was expiring around now and moving forward until Morro is released, you'd be given the 6 month free extension automatically.
    I would suspect that Support may have some more details and actions to take in specific scenarios, but this might also have been a glitch with the implementation of the extension.
    You can get a refund from Microsoft - save the receipt and packaging - and see this link in North America:

http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/productrefund/refund.asp

To follow up on this with support, 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 11:45 PM
  • If you contact billing you can use your product key for a full year of service rather than the 6 month free subscription extension.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 11:41 PM

All replies

• Yours is the first report I've seen of this. I will try to get some information on the change to renewal and also what can be done regarding your purchased CD but it probably will be Monday before I have an answer. 
    Friday, May 15, 2009 9:40 PM
  • As Jim noted, we haven't heard of this before. I was under the impression that renewals would be allowed for many months more, but if your subscription was expiring around now and moving forward until Morro is released, you'd be given the 6 month free extension automatically.
    I would suspect that Support may have some more details and actions to take in specific scenarios, but this might also have been a glitch with the implementation of the extension.
    You can get a refund from Microsoft - save the receipt and packaging - and see this link in North America:

http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/productrefund/refund.asp

To follow up on this with support, 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Sunday, May 17, 2009 11:45 PM
  • I have the same problem, expires next week. I was offered the 6 month free. I have already purchased a new license key. I purchased this because of the warning, that I was expiring soon. I am not able to activate the new key. I am now stuck with a copy I can't use, because it is opened. This is going to be a huge problem if this is happening to everyone trying to renew with a new key.
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 8:56 PM
  • I have the same problem, expires next week. I was offered the 6 month free. I have already purchased a new license key. I purchased this because of the warning, that I was expiring soon. I am not able to activate the new key. I am now stuck with a copy I can't use, because it is opened. This is going to be a huge problem if this is happening to everyone trying to renew with a new key.

We are trying to find out more, but you can follow the link I provided above if you are in North America and obtain a full refund for the retail copy that you purchased.
    -steve
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 1:28 PM
  • The exact same thing happened to me, as well. Received the six month free subscription rather than the yearly subscription I paid for. Unable to activate the product key. As a side note, before installing the new LiveOneCare, I had installed (and subsequently uninstalled when finished) the free version of AVG and scanned my computer - AVG located 14 tracking cookies and one threat issue that LiveOne Care had missed. Good job,Microsoft.
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 2:20 PM
  • If you contact billing you can use your product key for a full year of service rather than the 6 month free subscription extension.
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 11:41 PM