Turning off the "November" update RRS feed

• Question

• To avoid the types of problems that others (Wes, et al) are experiencing with the "November" update, can I just go to Settings->General->Windows Update->Off ???

Will this insure that the new "November" WHS update is not downloaded and installed ???

Thanks in advance.
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 3:46 AM

Answers

• Alex, please note that Wes has, at a bare minimum, installed .Net Framework 3.0 on his server (we know that because he said so). So we know that he has tweaked his server in Remote Desktop or with a physically connected keyboard, video, and mouse. We don't know how he has tweaked his server, though. I'm not going to say that this is the source of his problems (I'll leave that to Microsoft when/if they get a bug report from him), but I will say that the possibility for a normally safe update going wrong are undoubtedly greater on a server that's been modified this way. Which is a big part of why I seem to spend a lot of time raining on everyone's parade :) and warning that unsupported access and modifications may have unexpected, far-reaching, and serious consequences.

Also people should be aware that a single report of problems is not a reason to skip patching. A single report, or even a half-dozen reports of varied problems, is far more likely to indicate a problem on the machine being patched than a problem with the patch itself. And using the Windows Home Server console, applying product updates is an all-or-nothing affair. If you turn off updates, you won't get anything at all, including security patches (which I hope you apply regularly on all your home computers). If/when you turn them back on, you'll get everything that's built up since you turned them off. You can't pick and choose without running Windows Update in a (unsupported) Remote Desktop session.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Alex Barimo Wednesday, November 26, 2008 1:02 PM
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 12:10 PM
  • When you install this patch, your home server client PCs need to have their connector updated to match the server's version. That's why you get the red icon. If you have your PCs set to update the connector automatically, it should happen shortly after you install the patch. They may ask to be rebooted, if files that need to be updated are in use. If you don't have them set to update automatically, you will have to do so manually. You can do this by browsing to http://server:55000 and following instructions there.

If you have renamed, moved, or deleted the "\\server\software\Home Server Connector Software" folder, you'll find instructions here telling you how to recreate it. If that doesn't correct your issue, please submit a bug report on Connect, including logs from your server and one of your failing clients collected using the Windows Home Server tooolkit.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 4:51 PM
  • ok thanks, I fixed my Issue.

Ok. So I moved my connector software back to "\\servername\software
    home server connector software" and un installed/re-installed the update. I then reinstalled the connectors by running setup.exe from the connectors software folder and everything works fine.

\\servername\Software\Home Server Connector Software

Noted that WHSConnector.MSI now has a date of 31/10/2008… previously I believe that the date was 10/07/2008

Ran WHSConnectorInstall.exe and let it finish the install… succesfully got to the console.

Ran the tray icon it came back green this time..

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 10:26 PM

All replies

• Alex Barimo said:

To avoid the types of problems that others (Wes, et al) are experiencing with the "November" update, can I just go to Settings->General->Windows Update->Off ???

Will this insure that the new "November" WHS update is not downloaded and installed ???

Thanks in advance.

While that will stop the updating from installing, I would not recommend it.
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 4:35 AM
  • Kariya21 thanks for your response.

So changing that setting will insure that the November update is NOT applied.  That's great.

This WHS's inbound ports are firewalled off from the Internet.  WHS client connections are over a VPN.

It seems to me given what's been said on here that the risk of destabilizing the WHS and clients through this update is greater than any risk of a SBS 2003 security update of consequence not being applied, especially given the fact that the server only runs WHS and nothing else, isn't used for browsing via IE7, and given its firewall configuration.

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for any reply.
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 5:05 AM
  • Alex Barimo said:

To avoid the types of problems that others (Wes, et al) are experiencing with the "November" update, can I just go to Settings->General->Windows Update->Off ???

Thanks in advance.

What problems? Can you please post more details and a link to the original description of the problems?

[EDIT] Just found the answer to my question, Tomorrows update ? [edit]
    • Edited by brubberModerator Wednesday, November 26, 2008 5:54 AM already found the answer to my question
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 5:46 AM
  • Alex Barimo said:

Kariya21 thanks for your response.

So changing that setting will insure that the November update is NOT applied.  That's great.

This WHS's inbound ports are firewalled off from the Internet.  WHS client connections are over a VPN.

It seems to me given what's been said on here that the risk of destabilizing the WHS and clients through this update is greater than any risk of a SBS 2003 security update of consequence not being applied, especially given the fact that the server only runs WHS and nothing else, isn't used for browsing via IE7, and given its firewall configuration.

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for any reply.

I would recommend everyone update to this QFE. It contains a number of fixes for Backup, Storage and Remote Access features.

Windows Home Server Team
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 6:45 AM
  • Thanks all for your responses.

Zhan:

Is this "November Update" installed automatically to all of the installed base as part of automatic updates?

If so, does your "team" test it on a subset of installed machines through automatic update before automatically installing it on the rest of the installed base through Windows Update?

If so, how do you account for Wes' problems (it appears that the "November" update completely brought his entire WHS system down, both server and clients) as described on this forum?

In other words, why would I risk my entire WHS system by applying this update if I know that at least one user on here had it bring down his entire WHS system (server and clients).

Thank you in advance for any response.
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 10:59 AM
  • Alex, please note that Wes has, at a bare minimum, installed .Net Framework 3.0 on his server (we know that because he said so). So we know that he has tweaked his server in Remote Desktop or with a physically connected keyboard, video, and mouse. We don't know how he has tweaked his server, though. I'm not going to say that this is the source of his problems (I'll leave that to Microsoft when/if they get a bug report from him), but I will say that the possibility for a normally safe update going wrong are undoubtedly greater on a server that's been modified this way. Which is a big part of why I seem to spend a lot of time raining on everyone's parade :) and warning that unsupported access and modifications may have unexpected, far-reaching, and serious consequences.

Also people should be aware that a single report of problems is not a reason to skip patching. A single report, or even a half-dozen reports of varied problems, is far more likely to indicate a problem on the machine being patched than a problem with the patch itself. And using the Windows Home Server console, applying product updates is an all-or-nothing affair. If you turn off updates, you won't get anything at all, including security patches (which I hope you apply regularly on all your home computers). If/when you turn them back on, you'll get everything that's built up since you turned them off. You can't pick and choose without running Windows Update in a (unsupported) Remote Desktop session.

• Marked as answer by Alex Barimo Wednesday, November 26, 2008 1:02 PM
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 12:10 PM
  • Ken thanks for your response.

I think that what you've said generally makes sense, but this fellow Wes is reporting his problem the day (or close to the day) of the actual release of this patch.  He may represent another hundred or more users, that remains to be seen.  I don't want to be one of them.

I really wouldn't expect .net 3.0 to make much of a difference, although I agree with you - if he's installed 3.0 it's presumably for a reason, and he may be doing some things on this server that he shouldn't.

It sure seems like the WHS people have had some serious quality control problems.  Maybe this is wrong but the corruption problem on folder duplication with multiple drives was obviously quite serious, and I'm assuming that the same team that produced that have produced this patch.  It also seems really odd that they released something to do a backup of the server then pulled it back.  My best guess is that the people who are working on the WHS aren't really up to the level of the people elsewhere at MS.  There should never have been these kinds of problems for a program that is, after all, just a glorified backup program.  Just the idea of saying "do anything other than backups on this consumer operating system and you could make the system unstable" makes me think "total support nightmare" and "dumb."

Anyway I'm going to leave the update off for now and wait a few months to see how this all shakes out.

Thanks a lot for your input and for raising some very important points.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 1:00 PM
  •  

Update for Windows Home Server (KB957825) is buggy then the Home Server Connector is hosed on ALL of my PCs, I get a RED Windows Home Server Console icon after installing KB957825 not Green saying that the Console software has to be updated. Could not find a new Console Software version. After hours of trying to fix this I uninstalled KB957825 manually and rebooted the server, guess what I now get a green Home Server Console icon again.

http://mswhs.com/2008/11/25/microsoft-fixes-6-issues-with-whs/#comments

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 4:29 PM
  • When you install this patch, your home server client PCs need to have their connector updated to match the server's version. That's why you get the red icon. If you have your PCs set to update the connector automatically, it should happen shortly after you install the patch. They may ask to be rebooted, if files that need to be updated are in use. If you don't have them set to update automatically, you will have to do so manually. You can do this by browsing to http://server:55000 and following instructions there.

If you have renamed, moved, or deleted the "\\server\software\Home Server Connector Software" folder, you'll find instructions here telling you how to recreate it. If that doesn't correct your issue, please submit a bug report on Connect, including logs from your server and one of your failing clients collected using the Windows Home Server tooolkit.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 4:51 PM
  • ok thanks, I fixed my Issue.

Ok. So I moved my connector software back to "\\servername\software
    home server connector software" and un installed/re-installed the update. I then reinstalled the connectors by running setup.exe from the connectors software folder and everything works fine.

\\servername\Software\Home Server Connector Software

Noted that WHSConnector.MSI now has a date of 31/10/2008… previously I believe that the date was 10/07/2008

Ran WHSConnectorInstall.exe and let it finish the install… succesfully got to the console.

Ran the tray icon it came back green this time..

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 10:26 PM