SYS Drive Died - I can just replace it and do Recovery, right? RRS feed

• Question

• I am running a MediaSmart EX-485 Windows Home Server. The System Drive in Bay 1 is 2TB and the second drive in Bay 2 is 1TB.

The System drive has failed, but I had full file duplication on prior to the drive failing.

To get back up and running, do I just replace the System Drive (probably with just another 2TB drive) and execute a Server Recovery?

I assume that will allow for me to access the existing duplicated data on the secondary drive, and that data will (eventually) be recopied/rebalanced back to the System Drive?

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 6:48 AM

All replies

• This depends.

If the duplication could cover all data, this should be the case.

Since your second volume was much smaller than the first, the question would be, if there was been enough space. If the drive failed slowly, some services may have stopped earlier, so that the data has not been duplicated or that corrupted files have been duplicated. (That's one of the reasons to keep separated backups of shared data.)

Also client backups are not part of the duplication.

Do make sure your data is intact (or even recover stuff from the failed disk if it is still accessible) you can follow the FAQ How to recover data after server failure

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 9:15 AM