remove money2008 deluxe password RRS feed

• Question

• i am trying to use an old MNY file made with Money2008 Deluxe.  At one time my password worked, but now any likely password i try, it only chants "email or password is incorrect."

i have a working Windows Live account, and can sign in.

I cannot sign in directly to my Money file (without online services).

File does not offer to let me remove the password - it only has four choices: new, open, convert Quicken or restore.

Going offline (unplugging my eithernet) does not change any of this.

i can (and did) repair this file - repair also requires a sign-in, and i have a password which works for that.  But i cannot sign in to the repaired MNY file, either.

i suspect that the file protection mechanism is corrupted, and that no password will open my data file in Money (at least, not in the one i have).

I gather from some remarks that MS had its own validating site for Money files, now off the air.  In any case, Windows Live does not appear to be able to open my MNY files.  (And they have no visible tech support to ask about this.)

Quicken seems able to do this, somehow: it was able to import my MNY file into itself.  But in doing so, i lose a lot of information and features i had in Money.  Also, Quicken recommends that i finish posting, reconcile and print out my Money file before importing it - something i would like to do. 

I need a more radical solution: either some utility which can repair or defeat the password mechanism, or some way to extract my data (intact) from the Money file.  Any Power Users for Money out there?  Anyone know any good cracking utilities for Money?  Would be grateful to recover years of data.  (I know about backing up - this is a backup copy.)

Monday, May 21, 2012 8:29 PM

All replies

• Did you do a File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2? In that process, you chose a new filename for the repaired file. Try making a repaired version of that file by making a level 1 repair of that file, choosing a third filename in the process.

Close Money. Disconnect from the internet again.Double-click that third file in Windows Explorer. That should launch Money. Sign in offline. Do you get into your Money file?  If so, remove your Live Id. If no, what happened?

Monday, May 21, 2012 10:06 PM
  • Quicken seems able to do this, somehow: it was able to import my MNY file into itself.  But in doing so, i lose a lot of information and features i had in Money.  Also, Quicken recommends that i finish posting, reconcile and print out my Money file before importing it - something i would like to do. 

Are you saying for the same *.mny file, same password

• Quicken was able to import
    • but MSMoney will not let you getting pass the password screen?

If that is the case, that points to Quicken's import skipping some bits checking in the header. The fact that Quicken was able to see the rest of the contents means

• your password is correct
    • the rest of the content is OK.
    • Some bits in the header related to password checking is corrupted.

Assume that what I said so far is correct, there is a possibility that you can fix your *.mny file with a binary editor and some instruction on which bytes to patch. If you can read Java,  check out the source code of http://jackcessencrypt.sourceforge.net/ which will  give some clues.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 4:00 PM