Problems With WHS and Connector software RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have installed WHS and now I get a message that setup did not complete and I should retry, but if I cancel the message WHS seems to run fine. I have tried to install it 3 times as a new install so it would format my drive. The message that comes up does not tell me why WHS did not finish installing, just that if it does not finish WHS will not run correctly. Is there any way to find out what part of the install did not finish setting up ?

My 2nd question is about the connect software that goes on the remote PC. I have tried installing it at least 3 times and it can not find WHS. I had a problem with the security certificate, but have now corrected that issue. If I type the http or https <servername> I can get to it fine. Also if I explore my network I can see the server and login to the server and see my shares. I have tried to install the connector that is in the software directory also, so I do not thing it has anything to do with being the wrong version of the connector software.

Any help would be great.

Thursday, July 31, 2008 2:16 PM

Answers

• If you RDP into the server and look at the hardware through the Computer - Properties, are all items identified correctly?

Incidentally, I'd remove the sound drivers, Server 2003 doesn't recognise them, and there is no reason for them to be on a server. The video drivers should also be the most basic you have. In fact, most video cards manage just fine with the basic VGA built-in drivers. Anything extraneous could be interfering with the WHS operation,so I wouldn't bother with them at all. I do know that some of the NVidea drivers can also be very problematic.

Have you looked through the Logs, the setup logs are available in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs\setup, while all others are just one level up.

Colin

Friday, August 1, 2008 5:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

When you install WHS, you have to leave the DVD in the drive, through the reboot and restarts until you see the Welcome screen, only at that point, can you remove the DVD.

Also, any drivers that may be required, need to be installed twice, once during the graphical portion and then again during the text portion. The second time, you need to use F6. Note that this is a very short window!

There is a Connector troubleshooting document available here , which is worth running through. However, the first thing to do, is get the server running correctly.

Colin

Thursday, July 31, 2008 2:57 PM
  •  

I have not removed the DVD since trying to install WHS, so I don't think that is the issue. I looked through the quick setup docs online and I don't see anything about installing drivers twice or any text screen using F6 can you give me more details about that. I will need to look at my instruction book that came with the disc too.

As for the connector troubleshooting I have been trough it already, and the forums. That is how I found out about the certificate issue and getting it fixed. Could the connector issue be just because WHS did not finish setting up ?

Thursday, July 31, 2008 4:18 PM
  • It could well be. That could also cause the 'certificate issue', as this isn't a usual occurrence.

When you boot from the DVD, the first portion is the graphical setup, where you can add any required drivers. After the reboot, there is a text portion and you need to press F6 and install the same drivers again, otherwise the installation will not complete fully.

The reason is because of the way that WHS utilises Server 2003 as it's underlying operating system, so drivers need to be installed for both server 2003 and WHS itself.

Colin

Thursday, July 31, 2008 4:55 PM
  • Is there any place I can get a very detailed step by step set of instructions for installing WHS. I seem to be missing something while doing the install.

Thursday, July 31, 2008 6:38 PM
  • I'm afraid there isn't, apart from this forum. Purchasing the OEM version of software assumes that the purchaser is competent to use it, as it makes you the hardware/software support person.

As I said above though, there isn't that much to it really, you need to download Server 2003 version drivers from your hardware vendor's website and have them available either on a floppy, (how many of those these days?) or a USB stick.

What is the hardware you are trying to install on, as it could have a bearing on the success or failure prospects. If you search the forum for the specific hardware, you might well find some posts relating to it.

Colin

Thursday, July 31, 2008 7:13 PM
  • My issue is coming up when I get to the first welcome screen, just before entering the password for the server. Is there anyway to tell what part of the install did not complete ?

Friday, August 1, 2008 1:19 PM
  • Lets start at the beginning!

What is the hardware (motherboard/NIC/Video etc.), that you are trying to install on?

Colin

Friday, August 1, 2008 2:47 PM
  • Colin,

Thanks for all the help, I can not get over the issue's I'm having with Home Server. Here is my setup. Curently I have only 1 300 gig drive hooked up, I was wondering if WHS wanted to be configured with just 1 drive.

MSI K9N SLI Platinum w/ AMD Athlon 64 2.2GHz

NVIDIA® nForce 570 SLI MCP

Dual 10/100/1000 (built in the MB)

PQI Turbo 2GB RAM

ATI X1550 w/ 256 ram

3 Maxtor 300 gig ATA drives

3 Maxtor 500 gig SATA drives.

Friday, August 1, 2008 4:45 PM
  • Well,

Looking at the MSI site, your board doesn't have Server 2003 drivers available at all, so you are going to have to use XP versions and hope they are satisfactory.

In the BIOS, can you set the drives to be in 'compatibility mode' or 'IDE equivalent', as a start. Also, if there are any RAID settings in the BIOS, they need to be set to JBOD or individual drives. If you can do anything like that and try the initial install again, and let us know where it goes.

Colin

Friday, August 1, 2008 5:03 PM
  • I currently have a single IDE drive (300 gig) and it appears as a single drive. The RAID is currently turned off. I've had the system set up like this for all 3 installs.

The XP drivers seem to work fine also. I installed the motherboard, sound, and video card drivers and everything seems to work great. I can access the server from other pc's also. My only issue is that WHS says it is has not completed setup and I can not install PP1 because it says I did not complete setup.

It would be nice if WHS would at least give a hint why or at least what part of setup did not complete. Thats the only thing that is keeping me in the dark now, if I cant tell what's wrong how do I ifx it ?

Friday, August 1, 2008 5:31 PM
  • If you RDP into the server and look at the hardware through the Computer - Properties, are all items identified correctly?

Incidentally, I'd remove the sound drivers, Server 2003 doesn't recognise them, and there is no reason for them to be on a server. The video drivers should also be the most basic you have. In fact, most video cards manage just fine with the basic VGA built-in drivers. Anything extraneous could be interfering with the WHS operation,so I wouldn't bother with them at all. I do know that some of the NVidea drivers can also be very problematic.

Have you looked through the Logs, the setup logs are available in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs\setup, while all others are just one level up.

Colin

Friday, August 1, 2008 5:55 PM
  • I will check the logs tonight. As for the drivers I have installed them after the install and the error that says install did not complete, so I'm not sure if those drivers have anything to do with my problem since non of the drivers were installed during the inital setup. I can re-start the PC all I want and they are never installed by WHS. I will repost tonight after I get home from work and I can check the logs. Maybe there will be more help there.

Thanks for all the help, I know this is taking up a lot of your time.

Friday, August 1, 2008 6:29 PM
  • That's OK,

I know what it's like, when there is something wrong that you just cannot see.

Colin

Friday, August 1, 2008 6:39 PM
  • I finally found the solution for me, modified the hosts file to resolve servers router IP to the server name. Using nslookup I discovered server name was resolving to an internet IP that was not mine. Maybe this will help some folks. Everything works great now. Exact same problem as described for the connector install problem.

Saturday, August 2, 2008 2:56 AM
  •  

I ended up finding the answer in the log files. It appears the DVD I had ended up with a couple of corrupt files on it. I took it back to the shop where I got it from and it would not install for them either. I got a new DVD and the install of the server went flawless. Thanks for all the great help.
    Saturday, August 2, 2008 4:50 AM