Where did my website go? RRS feed

• Question

• For over a year my website, bestpokersites4u.com, has been on the first page of msn for the keywords "best poker sites". Now it is nowhere to be seen. It is still on pages 1 & 2 for the same keywords on yahoo and google. Anybody know why this would be? 

Friday, March 28, 2008 5:48 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Each time we update the index, previous relevance rankings are revised. Therefore, you may notice a shift in your website’s ranking as new sites are added and others become obsolete.

Although you can't directly change your website’s ranking, you can optimize its design and technical implementation to enable appropriate ranking by most search engines. For information about improving your website's ranking, see Guidelines for successful indexing.   Most website owners can see some improvements by doing basic white hat seo. I recommend ensuring that:

1.      You have great content. 

2.      Get your content noticed

Ensure that you are not doing any of the following:

• Attempting to increase a page's keyword density by add lots of irrelevant words. This includes stuffing ALT tags that users are unlikely to view.
    • Using hidden text or links. Only use text and links that are visible to users.
    • Using techniques, such as link farms, to artificially increase the number of links to your page.

Often when sites are having problems it is related to something above, whether intentionally or unintentionally.

Brett
    Tuesday, April 1, 2008 6:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Each time we update the index, previous relevance rankings are revised. Therefore, you may notice a shift in your website’s ranking as new sites are added and others become obsolete.

Although you can't directly change your website’s ranking, you can optimize its design and technical implementation to enable appropriate ranking by most search engines. For information about improving your website's ranking, see Guidelines for successful indexing.   Most website owners can see some improvements by doing basic white hat seo. I recommend ensuring that:

1.      You have great content. 

2.      Get your content noticed

Ensure that you are not doing any of the following:

• Attempting to increase a page's keyword density by add lots of irrelevant words. This includes stuffing ALT tags that users are unlikely to view.
    • Using hidden text or links. Only use text and links that are visible to users.
    • Using techniques, such as link farms, to artificially increase the number of links to your page.

Often when sites are having problems it is related to something above, whether intentionally or unintentionally.

Brett
    Tuesday, April 1, 2008 6:06 PM
  • So it was fine for a year but now it's gone? This wasn't a shift in the rankings, it went from page 1 to nowhere to be found. And if there is a problem with the site why is it still on page 1 & 2 of yahoo and google for the same keywords.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 9:04 AM
  • Hi,

Aside from your current rankings which I have no control over, a couple things you could do to help MSNbot crawl your site is provide a robots.txt file and sitemap.

Brett

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 5:10 PM