Newbie questions RRS feed

• Question

• I'm new to WHS and this forum. I have a few questions that I hope that the experienced folks can answer without flaming me.
    1. Can I install a Windows compatible SW package on WHS?
    2. Will WHS backup my laptop when the lid is closed?
    3. I have a Tivo and I've been using Tivo desktop to suck Tivo shows off of my Tivo and putting them on a USB drive, will WHS be able to do the same?
    4. How do I move files from my WHS to an external USB drive?

Thanks for any guidence.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 10:50 PM

Answers

• donno1 said:

I'm new to WHS and this forum. I have a few questions that I hope that the experienced folks can answer without flaming me.

Installing any application on the server that requires logging into the server desktop is unsupported (although that doesn't mean you can't do it).  Just don't expect MS to help you with any problems relating to the install of apps on it.  The only supported installation method is add-ins which are done through the Console.

donno1 said:

It will back up any computer that is on, in standby or in hibernation that is not on battery power.

donno1 said:

3. I have a Tivo and I've been using Tivo desktop to suck Tivo shows off of my Tivo and putting them on a USB drive, will WHS be able to do the same?

Again, that involves installing an app on the server which is not supported.

donno1 said:

Thanks for any guidence.

If you mean for the purposes of backing up data stored in the network shares on your server, there is a backup feature included in Power Pack 1 that does just that.  If you want to actually move files from the server to a USB drive, the only supported method is to connect the USB drive to your client computer, then move the files from your server to your client through the network.

Sunday, January 11, 2009 11:11 PM

All replies

• donno1 said:

I'm new to WHS and this forum. I have a few questions that I hope that the experienced folks can answer without flaming me.

Installing any application on the server that requires logging into the server desktop is unsupported (although that doesn't mean you can't do it).  Just don't expect MS to help you with any problems relating to the install of apps on it.  The only supported installation method is add-ins which are done through the Console.

donno1 said:

It will back up any computer that is on, in standby or in hibernation that is not on battery power.

donno1 said:

Again, that involves installing an app on the server which is not supported.

donno1 said:

Thanks for any guidence.

If you mean for the purposes of backing up data stored in the network shares on your server, there is a backup feature included in Power Pack 1 that does just that.  If you want to actually move files from the server to a USB drive, the only supported method is to connect the USB drive to your client computer, then move the files from your server to your client through the network.

Sunday, January 11, 2009 11:11 PM
  • Thanks! I appreciate the reply.
    What about Windows Live One care? Should I install it on my WHS?
    Monday, January 12, 2009 12:15 AM
  • donno1 said:

Thanks! I appreciate the reply.
    What about Windows Live One care? Should I install it on my WHS?

Same thing.  There is no WHS version, which means you would have to install it from the server desktop and that is unsupported.  (Besides, it's being discontinued anyway.)
    Monday, January 12, 2009 6:13 AM