Export Leads RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, currently I am working on Leads in Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 and using an external email marketing tool.

For using the marketing tool I should be exporting the data from the CRM and then Import it into marketing tool and when I get the results of the mailer I should be updating the mailer details into the exported file from CRM and import back to back to CRM.

Will I be able to export the records with details like General, Notes & activities Preferences Information?

Will I be able to modify the general details like address, email id, phone no etc.

Will I be able to import back the data into the CRM with the updated changes?

Regards

Lokesh S

Lokesh S
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 7:41 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Answers are:

Will I be able to export the records with details like General, Notes & activities Preferences Information?

Answer) You can export Notes and can export all fields data in to Excel, which is available on Lead entity form except few system required fields (only required by system for internal purposes)

Will I be able to modify the general details like address, email id, phone no etc.

Answer) Yes youc an modify data into excel file

Answer) Only if while exporting data, you have checked the option "Make the data available for re-importing by including required columns heading"

Jehanzeb Javeed

http://worldofdynamics.blogspot.com
    Linked-In Profile |CodePlex Profile

If you find this post helpful then please "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer".
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 10:02 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Answers are:

Answer) You can export Notes and can export all fields data in to Excel, which is available on Lead entity form except few system required fields (only required by system for internal purposes)

Answer) Yes youc an modify data into excel file

Answer) Only if while exporting data, you have checked the option "Make the data available for re-importing by including required columns heading"

Jehanzeb Javeed

If you find this post helpful then please "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer".
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 10:02 AM
  • With all the manual steps you are taking to move this data back and forth, it might be worth investing in a Marketing add-on like Click Dimensions.  If you add up the hours it takes you to do the manual steps, it could equate to the cost or less of a good Marketing solution.  Having an integrated Marketing solution generally pays for itself fairly quickly

Regards, Donna

Friday, July 29, 2011 4:39 AM
  • Hi Javeed,

Thanks for your reply, I tried to export the leads by was not able to get the whole data out at one shot, is there any method or step to follow to get the complete data out.

Regards

Lokesh S

Lokesh S
    Monday, August 8, 2011 1:03 PM
  • I guess the "external email marketing tool" not have a solution for extracting the data.  If this is not CRM online, you can use a SQL query against the filteredlead view and extract the records then copy into excel and save as a csv file or use standard sql export tools to export to a csv file or whatever format you need to the marketing tool. If it is CRM online,  you'll need to use Scribe, reports or the standard export feature.  If you use the 'standard export feature, pull the data by some qualifier so you can get chuncks of data that are less than 10 k record set and continue through until you have all the data.

Regards, Donna

Monday, August 8, 2011 4:48 PM
  • Hi Lokesh,

There is CRM Export Data Tool available at codeplex that will allow you to export data in a shot (csv format, you can open in excel file), the tool was developed for CRM 4.0 but with few minor changes into the configuraiton file it works fine with the CRM 2011

For further iformation you may reffer: http://nishantrana.wordpress.com/2011/05/09/using-bulk-data-export-tool-of-crm-4-0-with-crm-2011/ 

Jehanzeb Javeed

Monday, August 8, 2011 4:58 PM
  • Hi Javeed,

Thanks for your reply and I tried to figure out how to export the data with required field by going to Advance find option but when I tried I was able to just export only 10,000 records. Is there any way to export more that 10,000 as Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online, you cannot export a list of more than 10,000 records at a time to a static (A file that does not change when data changes in Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online.) Excel worksheet.

Regards

Lokesh S

Lokesh S
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 10:56 AM
  • Exactly, thus my response to you:

If it is CRM online,  you'll need to use Scribe or the standard export feature.  If you use the 'standard export feature, pull the data by some qualifier so you can get chuncks of data that are less than 10 k record set and continue through until you have all the data. You can use a created on qualifier for each record pull and grab all the records on or after and on or before.  Then continue with that pattern until you have all the records.

Regards, Donna

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 11:01 AM
  • Thanks Donna,

I wanted to assign Leads to people of team in my company so went to Advanced find and searched few lead based on my revenue criteria but when I assigned the leads to my team members it got assigned. But where would the team member go and view the leads assigned to them. Is the method what I am using is right?

Regards

Lokesh S

Lokesh S
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 1:02 PM
  • Hi,

By default the My Open Leads view only shows lead whose owner = Current User, you need to add a new condition into the My Open Leads view, to customize the view:

1. In CRM go to Sales->leads, click on Customize tab in ribbon bar and then click on View button

2. In view cusotmziaiton window, click on Edit Filter Criteria and Add new critera as shown in attached screen then make sure to selecte both Owner Conditions and click on Group OR button

3. Click Save and Close button

4. In CRM go to Sales->leads, click on Customize tab and then click on Publish Entity button

5. Refresh CRM by press F5 key

If this answers your question then please Vote as Helpful and Mark as Answer.

Jehanzeb Javeed

• Proposed as answer by Jehanzeb.Javeed Tuesday, August 9, 2011 1:13 PM
    • Edited by Jehanzeb.Javeed Tuesday, August 9, 2011 2:20 PM Added Group OR Condition Reference
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 1:13 PM
  • Thanks for asking Lokesh,  I appreciate the opportunity to respond.

To respond to your question, "But where would the team member go and view the leads assigned to them

By default, when a user logs into CRM and selects Leads from the left navigation under the Sales or Marketing module, the view will by My Leads.  You can check this by going to Leads and  you will see that the default view is My Leads (your leads).  Each user that logs in will have this default view so the user will automatically see the Lead records assigned to him or her unless they change the default setting.

Regards, Donna

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 4:03 PM
  • Hi Donna,

Thanks for your answers, correct me if I may be wrong when a lead is shared or assigned does the owner of the record changes and that’s the reason the lead opens in my open lead when a user opens the lead.

I got few prospects or leads from an event and imported it into the Leads in CRM, now I want to do an advance find and pull out records based on my revenue criteria and Assign those records to my team people so that they can do a follow up call and e-mailer. But the problem I am facing here is to understand how that data can be assigned and shared to the team members and as a team member where should I go and find the leads assigned to me and do the follow up activity.

Regards Lokesh S

Lokesh S
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 6:55 AM
  • When a Lead is assigned the owner changes.  The owner does not change when a Lead is shared.  You will want to assign the Lead to the appropriate person.  Once assigned, when the owning user goes to Leads in CRM, they will see the new Lead under the My Leads view which is the default view unless a user changed their default view.

Regards, Donna

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 9:56 PM