"Best" Processor for WHS? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I've searched the threads but have not seen anyone address whether a low-end AMD Opteron processor in a server motherboard wouldn't make a lot of sense for building a WHS.  Is this just overkill or would I get a noticeable improvement in performance over a similar speed, non-Opteron processor in a plain vanilla MB?  If this would provide a significant improvement in performance, I'd appreciate a recommendation on an appropriate MB.  Thanks in advance.
    Monday, March 24, 2008 7:47 PM

Answers

• I have a Celeron 420 which is 64 Bit capable and a Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L which is both low end but works for me very fine! And meets all my Requirements GB-Lan Sata2 Ports etc.

I think the opteron is a bit overdressed even when you think about the Energy consumption...

Hope i could help you
    • Marked as answer by Sailwithed Monday, November 3, 2008 10:48 PM
    Friday, April 4, 2008 10:27 AM

All replies

• The simplest way to answer that question is to first ask you what you plan on doing with your WHS box?

Are you going to install lots of apps and add-ins? Are you going to need to run anything that is processor intensive?

If so, then go for the best you can get, if not, then yes, its probably overkill today, but will that be the case tomorrow?

Andrew

Monday, March 24, 2008 9:24 PM
  • Thanks, Andrew; a very good question.  My primary motivation for make a WHS box is for the backup and data security offered.  That being said, once the data corruption bug is fixed, I would hope to be able to stream video off the server, edit jpg directly on the server, etc.  I don't PLAN on doing video editting or any extremely intensive operations, but I would like to be able to edit files on the server with the same (or close) speed that I currently experience when working off a hard drive on my desktop.  I would also hope to be able to upgrade to a subsequent 64-bit WHS, assuming one comes out in the next several years, without having to rebuild the box.

Ed

Monday, March 24, 2008 10:26 PM
  • I have a Celeron 420 which is 64 Bit capable and a Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L which is both low end but works for me very fine! And meets all my Requirements GB-Lan Sata2 Ports etc.

I think the opteron is a bit overdressed even when you think about the Energy consumption...

Hope i could help you
    • Marked as answer by Sailwithed Monday, November 3, 2008 10:48 PM
    Friday, April 4, 2008 10:27 AM