Backup cannot find device RRS feed

• Question

•  

I formatted an external hard drive using Vista and backed up a laptop. Then I plugged the external drive to my XP system and now One care backup give an error message that it cannot find the device. I then reformatted the drive from my XP system and still could not backup. When I opened the drive from my XP system, I see that there is a OneCare Backup folder with permissions set to "read-only" I tried changing the permissions but am not able to. The permission just keeps reverting to read only. I am gussing it is this permission setting that is keeping the backup from working.

This same drive was working as a backup for my XP system until I reformatted and backed up my Vista system.

What else do I need to do?
    Thursday, September 4, 2008 4:08 AM

Answers

• If you plan to use the same external drive for both systems, you don't want to be formatting between moves. Each time you format the drive, it is a new drive to OneCare. You would need to start a new full backup when using this "new" drive after the format. And, you may find that you need to reset your backup plan for the XP machine in order to start over fresh with this drive.

Try the following on the XP machine:

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab, configure backup and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

Alternatively, you can reset the plan for *both* PCs and configure Centralized backup. You would then leave the drive connected to one PC and make that PC a Hub in your Circle. Both PCs would then backup to that drive without the need for you to move it between PCs.

-steve

Thursday, September 4, 2008 3:43 PM

All replies

• If you plan to use the same external drive for both systems, you don't want to be formatting between moves. Each time you format the drive, it is a new drive to OneCare. You would need to start a new full backup when using this "new" drive after the format. And, you may find that you need to reset your backup plan for the XP machine in order to start over fresh with this drive.

Try the following on the XP machine:

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab, configure backup and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

Alternatively, you can reset the plan for *both* PCs and configure Centralized backup. You would then leave the drive connected to one PC and make that PC a Hub in your Circle. Both PCs would then backup to that drive without the need for you to move it between PCs.

-steve

Thursday, September 4, 2008 3:43 PM
  • I seem to have a similar problem. Having filled my external Maxtor 100 GB USB external hard drive, attached to my hub PC for a OneCare circle of three networked PCs, I purchased a new, larger USB external Maxtor 500 GB hard drive. OneCare cannot find this drive when it attempts to begin a backup and complains "OneCare cannot access the Central backup device because of unknown errors. Please try again after some time." I followed your instructions, above, but still get the error and cannot backup to the new hard drive.

Jeremy

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 4:42 PM
  • If resetting the backup plan didn't solve the issue for you, then I recommend that you contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, October 8, 2008 3:24 PM
  • To summarize: my new Maxtor 500GB USB external hard drive is not recognized for Backup by OneCare when the Maxtor is attached to my PC, which is set as a "hub." If I un-do the "hub" setting and do separate backups with the Maxtor attached to each of the three PCs (two Dells on XP-Home and a Gateway laptop running XP-Pro), there are no problems.

Microsoft Support has spent the last week trying to figure out this problem, so far without success. I "shared" control of the Desktop on all three computers in my OneCare Circle and they puddled around for an hour or two each day they called me (four or five times, at least). As part of this effort, I reformatted the new external hard drive and changed its name (which was close to the name of the old external hard drive, Microsoft Support thought that might be the problem) but that did not help.

The old external hard drive (also a Maxtor, about 100GB) is not acceptable to OneCare for Backup (because it is almost full – OneCare requires a minimum of 25GB available, it says) but it is recognized for Restore, even if it is attached to my computer. I can share the external hard drives on my intranet and read/write over the network.

Yesterday, after Microsoft called to say that someone would call me Monday (20 October 2008), I tried moving the external hard drive to my laptop and making it the hub. That worked. I was able to backup all three computers with no whining from OneCare. Today I plan to make the third PC the hub and try backup with it. If that works, then I can be sure that the problem has something to do with my PC – but what???

Jeremy

Edit – Saturday night:

Centralized backup works if the external hard drive is on any but my PC, then OneCare complains (on all three PCs) that it "cannot find" the external drive. In addition to moving the external drive to the other PCs, I have tried it on mine plugged into two different USB ports and with two different USB cables, in case there was a hardware problem. It seems to be a software or network problem with my PC alone. Wish I could figure out what it is!
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 5:45 PM
  • I am having THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM....But I mean EXACT.  My only other problem is that even switching the drive to another computer it still will not recognize the drive.

Sunday, October 19, 2008 4:41 PM
  •  Teknojunkee wrote:
    I am having THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM....But I mean EXACT.  My only other problem is that even switching the drive to another computer it still will not recognize the drive.

The only thing I can think of mention to you – and you may already be doing this – is that you must first undo centralized backup from the hub PC (OneCare will then ask you to specify an individual backup drive) and then undo that PC as the hub. Then "stop" the drive using the "Safely Remove Hardware" command in Windows, move the drive to another PC, set that PC as hub, and set up centralized backup using that PC.

If you are following that procedure and the drive is still not being recognized by OneCare, then you indeed have a more "widespread" version of my problem.

The only thing I can think of now is that I have some kind of intranet problem with my PC such that OneCare centralized backup does not run properly on my PC but it will run properly on my other PCs.

When Microsoft can't figure out the problem, you know you're really in trouble. (It will eventually turn out to be something that I didn't mention to them because I didn't think it was related.)

Jeremy

Sunday, October 19, 2008 7:58 PM
  • Jeremy, please keep us posted on the progress with this.

-steve

Monday, October 20, 2008 5:13 PM
  • As of tonight (20 October 2008) OneCare SUpport has given up, marked the case as "unresolved," and turned it over to the development team for research. If Development ever comes up with a fix, they'll contact Support and Support will call me back.

In the meantime I can run Backup with the external hard drive attached to my laptop. Since it's in the same room as my desktop PC, there's no real difficulty. I'll post if a solution – mine or theirs – ever appears. It's gotta be something boogered up in the operating system on my PC but if Microsoft can't find it . . .

Jeremy

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 1:56 AM
  • Jeremy,

Can you hook the drive up to the problematic PC, configure it as the Centralized Backup device, and on that PC create the SupportLog zip file - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2512403&SiteID=2

Then send this zip file to wloc@live.com , paste a link to this thread, provide your contact information, and identify the exact hardware specs of the drive in the email.

I'll ask the OneCare team to look at your logs and this thread.

-steve

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 3:18 PM
  • I believe the OneCare people did that (at least once, maybe more) during the hours that they shared control of my desktop.
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 3:49 PM
  • If the zip file is still on your PC, then, just grab that one and send it off (with the other info per the above) and I'll alert my contact to the fact that it is there. If you prefer to wait for a possible solution via support, that's okay, too.

-steve

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 4:05 PM
  • I do not see any zip files matching that description. In any case, I am reluctant to switch (for the fourth time) the external hard drive since each time that I do, OneCare wants to do complete new backups of all three PCs in my OneCare Circle. This takes a fair amount of time and eats up a lot of disk space. The alternative is to reformat the hard drive, thus throwing away the backup I did just two days ago. That is also something I'd rather not do again (twice already) – one of these days I might actually need to use the backups.

Since I am able to do the backup by connecting the external hard drive to the laptop, I'd rather live with that bandaid than spend more time doing experiments. I understand that this is frustrating to you, since you want to understand the problem. As an engineer, I understand your feelings and share them but for me the computer is a tool that I use to do other things and I must get on with them.

Jeremy

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 4:22 AM
  • No trouble, Jeremy. As long as you're okay with the workaround, I'm okay with it. :-)

I'm hopeful that they have revamped backup in the next version of OneCare, considering it is pretty flaky right now for many people.

-steve

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 1:23 PM
  • The tech on the chat module spent two hours and finally got it right--then it went down again the next day when I tried to switch backup drives. There just does not seem to be any easy way to do this, which is a shame since eventually all drive fill up, need to be reset, and while that is happening, an alternate backup needs to be made.  At any rate,  after watching him play with frame.net, and numerous, and I mean numerous other settings, I found that the only thing that seemed to work was  to be uninstalling, and then reinstalling onecare.  That seems to have worked.  So just plan on installing and uninstalling onecare if you want to switch backup drives and you have this issue, untillenough of us complain and they fix it or we move on to better (?easier) backup programs.

Friday, November 14, 2008 6:40 PM
  • I'm sorry that you spent 2 hours with support and that a reinstall was the solution, but a reinstall should not be needed. However, with the flaky backup in OneCare, it doesn't surprise me, unfortunately.

-steve

Monday, November 17, 2008 4:24 PM