WHS Installation problems RRS feed

• Question

• Installing WHS OEM, installation cycles on every reboot back to initial installation screens and processes (EULA, hard drive wiping, etc). Never continues with installation.
    I saw the same problem on the forum, but saw no answer.
    • Moved by Ken WarrenModerator Tuesday, January 20, 2009 12:15 PM Moved to correct forum (Moved from Windows Home Server Software to Windows Home Server Hardware and Installation)
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 7:08 AM

Answers

• Hi,

eck8489 said:

I am sure when I reconfigure back to raid array I may be back looking for solutions.

before you configure RAID, you should be aware, that RAID is not supported in Windows Home Server and may cause problems especially, if a server recovery installation is necessary.

Please read also this blog entry.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, January 23, 2009 8:14 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    you are a bit short in information sharing.
    What hardware? (Especially disk size, memory, CPU and mainboard?)
    Did the setup program see the disk(s)?
    SATA or IDE? If SATA, controller in IDE mode or in SATA mode?
    Does it boot always from DVD instead of booting from disk?
    Where is the DVD drive attached?
    Did you apply the latest Bios for your mainboard and reset the Bios to defaults (besides the SATA controller, which could run in IDE mode to avoid driver hassles)?
    Olaf
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 7:26 AM
  • I had a similar issue on my recent WHS build.

It was due to a setting in the BIOS boot parameters.  Choice said something like "Boot USB first"  when it was on, it ignored my set boot order and booted from USB first.

Once I turned it off, installation proceeded normally.
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 2:53 PM
  • Sorry for the lack of information provided.

I did check the bios settings, and then ran across a post somewhere about multiple drives. I had 5 TB drives hung from multiple previous builds- I disconnected all but the boot drive and installation worked fine. Too bad it took so many hours of trial and error to figure it out.

I have been adding the drives back one drive and reboot at a time and have not had it hang up yet, so all seems to be working.

I am sure when I reconfigure back to raid array I may be back looking for solutions.

Thanks for the responses.

Friday, January 23, 2009 7:32 AM
  • Hi,

eck8489 said:

before you configure RAID, you should be aware, that RAID is not supported in Windows Home Server and may cause problems especially, if a server recovery installation is necessary.

Please read also this blog entry.

Olaf

Friday, January 23, 2009 8:14 AM