Help! Can anyone help me install PP1 using terms I might actually understand? RRS feed

• Question

• I go to the instructions and see things like this  "

When the Log On to Windows dialog box appears, type “Administrator” as the user name and use your Windows Home Server Console password as the password your, and then click OK."

what is password your?

or this:

·         Get the update package from https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/Downloads  

got the update

·         Copy the update package to your home server (e.g. to \\server\software).

how do I do that, remoting into the windows explorer on WHS or is it the shared folder I can get to under my network places from a client PC?

·         Run the Windows Home Server Administrator’s Desktop (you can find the step-by-step instructions on How to Access the Windows Home Server Administrator’s Desktop later in the document)

·         From the administrator’s desktop run the update package (e.g. \\localhost\software\WHS_KB944289-v1-x86-ENU.exe) to update the server to this internal release of Windows Home Server Power Pack 1 Public Beta.  Be sure to right click on the update package - WHS-KB944289-v1-x86-ENU.exe, click properties and select unblock

o        If you have a previous pre-release of Power Pack 1 installed, you must uninstall it by going to Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. (This only applies to beta testers who were testing previous pre-releases of Power Pack 1).  This requires a reboot before Power Pack 1 Public Beta can be installed. Here are the step-by-step instructions:

§         Open the Windows Home Server Administrator’s Console by following the instructions later in this document.  On your home server, click Start, select Control Panel, and then click Add or Remove Programs

§         Do not forget to check “Show Updates”

PLease help those of us who are somewhat technical but need things in step by step easy English

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 3:38 PM

Answers

• Perhaps this will help:

1. Down load the update package to your PC (Which you have done I believe)

2. Copy the update package from your PC to the Software share on the server.  This should be the one you can see in your network places.

3. Connect to the server using Remote Desktop and using the administrator username and password for your server. (If you aren't sure at this point post back and I'll provide more information.)

4. While connected to the remote desktop of your server click the START button, then click RUN.  In the run box type \\localhost\software and click OK.  This will open the folder where you copied the update package to.

5. Double click the update package and follow the on screen prompts to install.

Hope this works for you!

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 4:00 PM
  •   Still having problems, software is in software folder and I can access it as you described but I get a box that says windows cannot access the specified device and I might have appropriate permissions.  The instructions say to unblock by clicking right on properties to unblock, but I do not see unblock anywhere.

·         From the administrator’s desktop run the update package (e.g. \\localhost\software\WHS_KB944289-v1-x86-ENU.exe) to update the server to this internal release of Windows Home Server Power Pack 1 Public Beta.  Be sure to right click on the update package - WHS-KB944289-v1-x86-ENU.exe, click properties and select unblock

FIXED, copied to server desktop and started it from there.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 11:13 PM

All replies

• Perhaps this will help:

1. Down load the update package to your PC (Which you have done I believe)

2. Copy the update package from your PC to the Software share on the server.  This should be the one you can see in your network places.

3. Connect to the server using Remote Desktop and using the administrator username and password for your server. (If you aren't sure at this point post back and I'll provide more information.)

4. While connected to the remote desktop of your server click the START button, then click RUN.  In the run box type \\localhost\software and click OK.  This will open the folder where you copied the update package to.

5. Double click the update package and follow the on screen prompts to install.

Hope this works for you!

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 4:00 PM
  • thanks, i will try that

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 4:09 PM
  •   Still having problems, software is in software folder and I can access it as you described but I get a box that says windows cannot access the specified device and I might have appropriate permissions.  The instructions say to unblock by clicking right on properties to unblock, but I do not see unblock anywhere.

FIXED, copied to server desktop and started it from there.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 11:13 PM
  • Isn't the PP1 file an ISO (or is it an .exe)? It seems to be a new install, or am I wrong. I have an OEM version installed on my rig.

From what this thread is saying, can I download the file, move it to the server and run it? I think the file is a bit over a GB.

I appreciate the help!
    Thursday, June 12, 2008 1:02 AM
  •  hank3rd wrote:
    Isn't the PP1 file an ISO (or is it an .exe)? It seems to be a new install, or am I wrong. I have an OEM version installed on my rig.

From what this thread is saying, can I download the file, move it to the server and run it? I think the file is a bit over a GB.

I appreciate the help!

The file is not an .ISO but an .exe file. The file I downloaded and installed was only 22MB in size. You should copy the file to your server (suggested place is the software folder) and then using Remote Desktop install the software from there. Mine worked just fine this way.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 2:29 AM
  •  Z06_Dude wrote:

hank3rd wrote:
    Isn't the PP1 file an ISO (or is it an .exe)? It seems to be a new install, or am I wrong. I have an OEM version installed on my rig.

I appreciate the help!

The file is not an .ISO but an .exe file. The file I downloaded and installed was only 22MB in size. You should copy the file to your server (suggested place is the software folder) and then using Remote Desktop install the software from there. Mine worked just fine this way.

You were right, worked like a  charm, thanks!  I did not know we could remote in, thanks for that as well!

Thursday, June 12, 2008 2:42 AM
  • When I try to install downloaded software (eg vpop3 email server for whs) in this was I get an error message "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file.  You may not have appropriate permissions to access the item." yet I am accessing the server via remote desktop as Administrator.

Any advice much welcome.
    Saturday, June 21, 2008 5:04 PM
  • As stated above, many have had problems with running the file from the Software share while RDP as administrator.  So..

While logged (Remote Desktop) into the server, go to the software share and copy the installation file and paste it to the administrator desktop on the server.  You should be able to run it from there.

Hope this helps!

Toby

Saturday, June 21, 2008 9:59 PM