Connector won't install RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.  I have a Vista Premium computer connected to my WHS server that started acting weird... it showed up twice, as two separate computers, in the Console.  One was always offline and the one that was online wouldn't backup no matter what I tried.  So I went to "Control Panel" and "Programs and Features" and uninstalled the Connector program.  When I put the Connector DVD into the computer and try to run the setup.exe program it pops up and says, "You cannot install Windows Home Server Connector on a Windows Home Server".  Anyone have any idea what's going on?  It's not a WHS, it's Vista Premium.  I'd really appreciate any help... I can't access the server on this computer until I get this figured out.  Thanks a lot!

Sunday, December 16, 2007 9:12 AM

Answers

• I restored the Vista computer from the Restore Point that was made when I uninstalled the Connector and it works fine now... I'll try to not install so many add-ins and mess with the WHS computer so much and hope it doesn't break again Smile

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 4:45 AM

All replies

• My other computer is also messed up... when I double-click on the Console icon in my tray it doesn't do anything.  I have to right-click and open the console that way.  More importantly, the computer shows up grayed-out like it's offline and I can't back it up.

Sunday, December 16, 2007 9:34 AM
  • Do you have Vista SP1 RC1 installed?

Sunday, December 16, 2007 11:39 AM
  • For your second computer, navigate to the folder C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server on it (unless you forced the installation to a different location) and try running discovery.exe.
    Sunday, December 16, 2007 3:52 PM
  • It gives a check mark next to "Joining Windows Home Server" but an X next to "Configuring Computer Backup".

edit:  The first computer is updated every few days, so it should be the most current version of Vista.  The 2nd computer is XP Media Center edition, SP2.

Sunday, December 16, 2007 8:19 PM
  • I re-installed WHS and now it works on my XP system.  But the Vista system still says I can't install the Connector software on a WHS.  Anyone have any ideas?  My girlfriend's a little annoyed that I screwed up her access to the server Smile

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 12:42 AM
  • Is the Vista HP x64?

If so, forget about getting the connector software installed on it, until next year  

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 3:40 AM
  • No, it's x86.  I can't figure out why the Connector DVD thinks the Vista Premium is a Windows Home Server computer....

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 3:43 AM
  • I restored the Vista computer from the Restore Point that was made when I uninstalled the Connector and it works fine now... I'll try to not install so many add-ins and mess with the WHS computer so much and hope it doesn't break again Smile

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 4:45 AM