how to create a WHS bootable cd RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I wan t to create a WHS 2003 bootable cd. are there any comands or programs to do it?

Monday, October 31, 2011 3:51 PM

Answers

• If you mean you want to create a "live" CD, à la Linux "live" distros, that will boot and run from the CD, it's impossible to do with Windows Home Server, because Windows Home Server expects to have complete control of all hardware, including all disk drives.

If you mean you want to take a .iso file that you've downloaded and burn it, use your CD-ROM authoring software of choice, consulting the documentation if need be.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, October 31, 2011 4:47 PM

All replies

• If you mean you want to create a "live" CD, à la Linux "live" distros, that will boot and run from the CD, it's impossible to do with Windows Home Server, because Windows Home Server expects to have complete control of all hardware, including all disk drives.

If you mean you want to take a .iso file that you've downloaded and burn it, use your CD-ROM authoring software of choice, consulting the documentation if need be.

Monday, October 31, 2011 4:47 PM
  • No I do not want to have a "liive" CD, I only want to have a restore mechanism in the case of having problem in my WHS system.
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 9:30 PM
  • You use the installation DVD.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 12:37 AM
  • With V1, there is no separate recovery console available to you to repair your server's OS. Restoring your server is a matter of using your original installation media to perform a server recovery, which will refresh the OS on an existing system disk or put a fresh OS on a new system disk while retaining your data.
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 10:46 AM
  • OK, but I have installed some additional drivers not included in the original DVD. it means that I have to recover the system and install all the drivers later on
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 4:49 PM
  • It depends whether you need the drivers for the server recovery - if so, you have the opportunity to install them during the process. If not, just install them afterwards.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 5:06 PM
  • Well, I have installed it by using 2 DVDs. One of Windows 7, and the other one of WHS/WSS/SBS. This was what I did to get it installed:

- Load the Windows Setup with the Windows 7 bootable DVD. Then "repair" your installation and press escape twice to go to the panel where you see the CMD Prompt.

- Open this CMD prompt and format your drive (format c /q). If you have just got a new drive, use DISKPART to create a partition and format your drive.

- In the CMD Prompt, type "notepad" and type the following text in it: 

[WinPE]
    ConfigDisk=1
    CheckReqs=0
    WindowsPartitionSize=MAX

[InitialConfiguration]
    Language=en-US
    Locale=en-US
    Country=US
    Keyboard=00000409
    AcceptEula=true
    AcceptOEMEula=true
    ServerName=HomeServer
    PlainTextPassword=P@ssword
    PasswordHint=Passing by
    Settings=All

--> and save this file as "cfg.ini" at the root of C:\

- Put in your DVD tray the WHS/WSS/SBS DVD.

- Wait untill it's done...

Have fun!

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 11:37 PM