windows 7 home basic validation RRS feed

• Question

• I got my  laptop with original Windows 7 Home OS. Then some problems occurred with my laptop and my friend installed another Windows 7 Ultimate which was not genuine. Later i found out that problems were hardware related which i got resolved. Now I get notification to the effect that my copy of windows is not genuine which of course is true. Is it possible to validate through the Product Key of old Windows 7 which was genuine? What is the solution? I am in no mood to buy new product key.
    Friday, February 11, 2011 2:15 PM

Answers

• What is the make and model of the computer and what edition of Windows are you running?

If the old product key is for preinstalled Windows (and I assume it is) it will not work.  For the old key to work again you need to restore your laptop to factory condition and just get rid of the non genuine Windows.  The only other alternative is to buy a new copy of Windows, which you don't want to do.

If the recovery partition is still intact just try whatever F-key combination is needed as the computer starts.  However, your friend's software may have overwritten the key codes stored at the factory.  If so you need to order recovery disks from the manufacturer or from a third party.  Find third parties by googling on "recovery disks".  Several companies will sell you a set.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, February 11, 2011 10:14 PM
    Friday, February 11, 2011 2:36 PM
    Answerer