WHS Console not connecting anymore RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am currently using WHS RC.  It has been working fine for me until today.  For some reason I cannot login to the console from my mce2005 PC, it just gives me an incorrect password error.  The password is definately correct, and I have reset it on the WHS pc to make absolutely sure.  Furthermore I cannot login using remote desktop from the mce2005 machine.  The connections is immediaely refused soI don't even see the login screen i.e it doesn't ask me for the password or username.

I can access the shared folders on the WHS pc with no problem, i just cannot login to the WHS pc.  The only thing I have done with the WHS machine was to remotely shut it down using teh command prompt (psexec \\server -u uname -p passwd shutdown -s).  When it i tried this I  got an access denied error, and wonder if WHS has locked out access because of this.  If so how do I re-enable access from my mce2005 pc?

Any help with this wouldbe greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Saturday, October 6, 2007 1:29 PM

Answers

• well, i just rebooted the server after uninstalling  .net 3.0 and some console 6 update and was finally able to connect from a client using the console connection window....if you have installed either of those updates just uninstall them and reboot even though the update does not require the reboot and all should be ok.
    Saturday, October 6, 2007 7:33 PM
  • I have uninstalled the .net 3.0 framework also and I can now connect with no problems.

Thanks very much for your help  Loop2Kil
    Sunday, October 7, 2007 12:18 PM

All replies

• Can you log in to the console from any other PC on your network? Is it just the MCE PC that's having the issue? If so, try rebooting the MCE PC.

Saturday, October 6, 2007 4:55 PM
  • Thanks for your reply,

Unfortunately the only other pc I have is the mce one.  I have re-booted it a number of times but it makes no difference.  I can connect to the WHS and view the shared folders.  It just seems to be refusing any login requests.

Thanks
    Saturday, October 6, 2007 6:18 PM
  • I am having the very same problem...i can log in using IE and the ip of the whs machine.  however, the console keeps telling me 'incorrect password'...seemed to start this after i installed a couple of updates, which i tried uninstalling but still no go.
    Saturday, October 6, 2007 6:36 PM
  • well, i just rebooted the server after uninstalling  .net 3.0 and some console 6 update and was finally able to connect from a client using the console connection window....if you have installed either of those updates just uninstall them and reboot even though the update does not require the reboot and all should be ok.
    Saturday, October 6, 2007 7:33 PM
  • I have uninstalled the .net 3.0 framework also and I can now connect with no problems.

Thanks very much for your help  Loop2Kil
    Sunday, October 7, 2007 12:18 PM
  • I had the exact same problem happen to me:

1.  WHS Console refused to accept my password from ANY of my machines (XP Pro, MCE, or Vista Home Premium).
    2.  I couldn't even connect via RDP.
    3.  The only thing that did work was using psexec to shutdown the server has described here.  Oddly enough, it took the administrator credentials there.
    4.  After restarting the server, everything worked correctly.  There was nothing in the logs (even the security one) to indicate what might hasve been the issue.

I did not attempt to uninstall .NET 3.0.

Monday, December 31, 2007 8:45 PM
  • Anyone else have any suggestions on this issue?  I've had this happen several times in the past on the released version of WHS.  The WHS Console says "The password is incorrect." RDP won't connect at all says "This computer can't connect to the remote computer."  All shares are working fine and I can connect to the web server.  The issue seems isolated just to the RDP services. 

My system's in this state right now.  I think I can recover just by logging in locally to the console and then logging out the console session but that doesn't help too much when it's supposed to be a headless server...

As far as configuration, WHS has been running stable for quite a while.  I haven't changed anything since the last successful RDP login (yesterday).

EDIT: I decided to try logging into the console.  pulled out a monitor and plugged in a keyboard.  Still no luck getting access.  At the physical console I get the following dialog after entering the correct password for Administrator: "Error connecting to existing session for Administrator (Id0). The operation completed successfully." Then it goes back to the standard "Computer is in use and has been locked.  Only SERVER\Administrator or an administrator can unlock this computer." 

I think I'm going to have to do a remote shutdown to get back onto the console. Sad

Saturday, May 3, 2008 3:08 AM
  • tfieldho, do you normally run software on your server that requires a user to be logged in interactively? If not, and if you don't connect to the console session using mstsc /console, I wouldn't expect to see what you describe.

That said, googling your error message shows that a scattering of people have been experiencing this issue. The good news is that it looks like it's not related to Windows Home Server; users with SBS and plain vanilla Windows Server 2003 boxes are also experiencing this issue. The bad news is that I can't find an obvious fix or workaround by googling.
    Saturday, May 3, 2008 1:26 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, Ken.

Ken Warren wrote:
    do you normally run software on your server that requires a user to be logged in interactively? If not, and if you don't connect to the console session using mstsc /console, I wouldn't expect to see what you describe.
    I am running uTorrent on the console session.  I'm guessing that may be part of the issue and I've almost finished getting the uTorrent add-in setup working. 

Unfortunately I end up babysitting my WHS box - fixing drive balancing every month or so.  I don't necessarily need to use the /console or /admin switch to remote in but I've ended up with concurrent remote sessions in the past due to the quirkiness of Server 2003 so it's a habit now to use the /admin switch.  I'll try to untrain myself and now that I have the Advanced Admin Console add-on installed there will be few reasons to hit the console itself.

Ken Warren wrote:
    That said, googling your error message shows that a scattering of people have been experiencing this issue. The good news is that it looks like it's not related to Windows Home Server; users with SBS and plain vanilla Windows Server 2003 boxes are also experiencing this issue. The bad news is that I can't find an obvious fix or workaround by googling.
    I figured it wasn't specific to WHS but hadn't been able to find any significant info on the error.  I'm guessing that I could  recover by killing session 0 remotely.  But that means I'll need to either login to one of my machines as Administrator or create a 2nd Admin account on the WHS box to gain access to the Terminal Services Manager mmc snap-in.

Strangely, the WHS Console was able to connect after a day or so.  I still couldn't RDP to the system or login locally so I went ahead and did a graceful restart.

The other thought I had is that it seems to happen when a RDP session is terminated abnormally - for example, the system running RDP is placed in hibernation or the SSH tunnel I'm using resets. 

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 5:00 AM
  • I have the same problem. Two days ago i was unable to connect to my Home server through the WHS concole on the two PCs I have. The password was incorrect. I reinstalled the connector software on both machines. Oddly, when I am asked for the password during the installation process (when the installation program is has found the server), the password works and I can finish the installation process. However, the problem remained. Since yesterday the WHS icon in the notification area is indication that volume SYS is failing. It is suggested that I try to do a repair, but I see no way of doing it.
    Some weeks ago I installed .net 3.0, but I think the console worked after that. The last thing I did before the problem appeared, was upgrading my XP with SP3. A week earlier I also installed WMware player. I did not test the WHS console then.
    I can access the shared folders with the browser. If I would want to deinstall .net 3.0, how do I do that when I have no access to the installation files on the WHS?
    I now consider to panic and do a reinstallation. I guess (hope) that will work.
    Sunday, May 11, 2008 12:05 PM
  •  florrv wrote:
    I had the exact same problem happen to me:

1.  WHS Console refused to accept my password from ANY of my machines (XP Pro, MCE, or Vista Home Premium).
    2.  I couldn't even connect via RDP.
    3.  The only thing that did work was using psexec to shutdown the server has described here.  Oddly enough, it took the administrator credentials there.
    4.  After restarting the server, everything worked correctly.  There was nothing in the logs (even the security one) to indicate what might hasve been the issue.

I did not attempt to uninstall .NET 3.0.

Do you have a link to how I could use psexec? There seem to be no active links in your post.

Thanks

Sunday, May 11, 2008 12:16 PM
  • I woke up this morning to much the same problem, but maybe different. WHS has been running for months.

This morning, yellow icon in system tray. Try to log on and get error the console cannot connect, check network connection or be sure server is powered on. It's on, I have restarted it. I can see the shares on all computers. I've restarted the console on all clients. All clients exhibit the same behavior.

I have a keyboard/mouse/monitor on the WHS box. I can log on there. I can access the console there. I have installed no software on the server other than the Marvell network driver and Recorded TV Manager add-on, nothing that requires any logging on.

After logging on at the server and starting the console and fixing the yellow icon issue (a backup warning from a comptuter that isn't on much) I now have a green icon but can't logon from a client with the console on any computer.

Even though I can log on at the server, I don't know what to try to fix this. Do I reinstall the console on all the clients? I can't imagine they'd all go bad at once. Something else? I'm stumped!!

Edit: Fixed!! A couple days ago I had set my router to use OpenDNS DNS servers. I unchecked this in my router setup and the issue is solved. Not sure if I can get OpenDNS servers to work with WHS console, but for now I'll NOT use them!!

Sunday, May 11, 2008 1:11 PM
  • OpenDNS is known to cause issues with name resolution on your network, due to some non-standards compliant things they do. There are ways around it (you could run your own caching-only DNS server or WINS server, for example), but frankly it's much easier to just not use OpenDNS at all.
    Sunday, May 11, 2008 3:18 PM
  • Problem solved for me!
    As indicated above, I decided to do a reinstallation. Connected a keyboard, mouse and screen to the WHS PC to close it down. However, the monitor output was turned off, and I had to use the reset button. When the machine started again, there was a notice (dissappeares too quickly for me to read it properly) that some sys process or volume behaved badly and was stopped. After finishing booting up, everything was ok.
    A day or so after I first noticed the Console problem, there was a yellow warning that the sys volume had problems, but I don't know if the sys problem have anything to do with the console problem.
    So, a brute reset did it for me.
    Monday, May 12, 2008 9:30 AM
  • Hi,

My WHS has worked perfectly since installation, until a few days ago. Now i cannot connect to the server using the Console from any of my two computers (Vista and XP). Automatic backups work from both units though. I have done the basics of restarting everything, renaming passwords. I have also run to Discovery tool on both units, which has found the server and assocaited with it. Still, the Console wont connect. I have tried removing the .Net 3.0 Service Pack from the server as suggested below, but with no success.

Any ideas anyone?

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 1:32 AM
  •  Bo Lundqvist wrote:
    Hi,

My WHS has worked perfectly since installation, until a few days ago. Now i cannot connect to the server using the Console from any of my two computers (Vista and XP). Automatic backups work from both units though. I have done the basics of restarting everything, renaming passwords. I have also run to Discovery tool on both units, which has found the server and assocaited with it. Still, the Console wont connect. I have tried removing the .Net 3.0 Service Pack from the server as suggested below, but with no success.

Any ideas anyone?

Did you install anything or change anything a few days ago?

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 1:43 AM
  • No, i have done no changes on server or workstation. A few Vista updates were released last week, which i have not yet tried un-installing, but that should not affect the XP machine? Any ideas what i could check or change?

Cheers,

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 7:21 AM
  • What error do you see when you attempt to connect to your server using the Console? Do you see a different error when you attempt to log in using Remote Desktop?
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 3:14 PM
  • I'm very new to all this but I had the same problem and found the box "enable remote desktop on this computer" was unchecked on the server.  I checked it and everything was fine again.  This is probably not causing your issue but thought I'd mention it just in case.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 8:07 PM
  • Hi Ken,

Using Remote Desktop, I cannot connect to the WHS. The error message is "The client could not connect. You are alrady conected to the console of this computer. A new console session cannot be established", which is odd since i un-installed the Console in an attempt to resolve it. The Console will not re-install on my Vista PC  - cannot connect to server.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 11:09 PM
  • ..continued:

I can log in to the WMS server directly as Administrator with no issues. I noticed this morning an error message though: "WHS Dynamic DNS Service encountered a problem and needed to close". That might have something to do with it?

I also looked at disabling 'OpenDNS" in the router as suggested here, but I cannot find such option for my (pretty old) Netgear router. I have also checked that "enable remote desktop on this computer" is checked on the server.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 11:27 PM
  •  Bo Lundqvist wrote:
    ..continued:

I can log in to the WMS server directly as Administrator with no issues. I noticed this morning an error message though: "WHS Dynamic DNS Service encountered a problem and needed to close". That might have something to do with it?

I also looked at disabling 'OpenDNS" in the router as suggested here, but I cannot find such option for my (pretty old) Netgear router. I have also checked that "enable remote desktop on this computer" is checked on the server.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Can you logon on to the server desktop again and go to All Programs > Administrative Tools > Terminal Services Manager and see how many connections are listed there?

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 11:46 PM
  • Hi,

did that. the only session listed is the Administrator/Console.

i am considering a re-installation. is that the next logical step?

b

Thursday, July 17, 2008 10:39 PM
  •  Bo Lundqvist wrote:
    Hi,

did that. the only session listed is the Administrator/Console.

i am considering a re-installation. is that the next logical step?

b

The only other thought I have is to reboot all of your computers (servers and clients).  I know, it's a last ditch effort, but you never know....

Friday, July 18, 2008 12:09 AM
  • Have you recently installed Windows XP Service Pack 3? That wouldn't affect your Vista machine, but there are known issues with XP SP3 and remote desktop.
    Friday, July 18, 2008 12:55 AM
  • SOLVED. I spent a great deal of time re-installing WHS, and re-configuring the Router etc. Now it works! The "WHS Unleashed" was a great deal of help to a non-tekkie like me - recommended buy.

Monday, July 21, 2008 4:11 PM
  • I have just installed my WHS, performed all the updates.  One of two machines can't connect using the console.  I see the shared folders and the software registers my computer on the server and backups perform.  The other vista machine I can sign in without issues.

This did work at one time.  I got the WHS all setup, then installed the connector software on this machine and it worked.  Then decided to put a static IP on the server through mac assignment on the router.  From then on I can't connect.  I installed the connect software on the second machine after the static ip assignment.

I have uninstalled the connect software many times even deleted the machine account from the server but still can't connect.  The icon shows the network health so I know it is connecting.  What do I do from here?
    Monday, October 19, 2009 6:59 PM