locked
Odd behavior with VS2015 using CMake RRS feed

  • Question

  • I've used CMake on several platforms successfully for quite a few years.  I have always relied on use of command line tools on the various platforms for performing the actual build process.  I do not get involved with and IDE unless absolutely required.  I have been through various upgrades of cmake as well as build tools for the various platforms.  I have recently upgraded to VS2015 and have noticed an interesting behavior that caught me off guard.

    Given that I keep my build trees separate from my source trees, it is easy for me to delete a build tree and re-run cmake in order to go through the entire process of recreating the build tree.  After my upgrade to VS2015, re-running cmake after deleting my build tree resulted in a a failure.  So I'd remove my build tree and try again with the same result.  This happened several times in succession which really was confusing.  One thing not mentioned is that I use a un*x machine with a Windows virtual machine and I was simply performing a 'rm -r buildTree' in one of my un*x windows then mouse over into my virtual machine and run my build script in a console window.  So one time after removing the build tree, I performed an 'ls' and to my surprise the build tree was still there but it wasn't complete---far from it.  The only things in this tree were various .tlog files with the prefix 'link-VCTIP.delete', 'link-VCTIP.read' and 'link-VCTIP.write' present.

    That got me thinking that there might be a Windows process or service that got started after running my build script.  I did some searching and came across someone else who had experienced similar behavior (https://github.com/Azure/azure-iot-gateway-sdk/issues/54)

    Given that this seemed like an Intellisense-related thing, I cleared the 'Enable diagnostic tools while debugging' option and turned off the Intellitrace option from VS -- recall that I don't build from within VS.  However, the said build tree directory was created and the associated 'VTIP' .tlog files were still present.

    Has anyone else seen such behavior?  Is there any way to disable this behavior?

    thanks

    Monday, May 8, 2017 5:49 PM

All replies

  • Hi bill_bob,

    Welcome to MSDN forum.

    Since this forum is to discuss the VS IDE usage, based on your description, this issue is more relate to the Cmake, so we suggest you post this issue to the Cmake forums, where you can get more professional and detail reply.

    https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/issues

    If you are have question about VS IDE usage, please feel free to contact us. We will try our best to give you a solution.

    Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.


    MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

    Tuesday, May 9, 2017 7:43 AM
  • I would have thought this would have been a reasonable place to include this given that my CMake project is essentially the same and that just changing my underlying compiler version (albeit an entire collection of stuff with Visual Studio) caused an unexpected behavior to occur.

    I guess I'll have to do my digging elsewhere...

    Tuesday, May 9, 2017 1:36 PM