Symantec Security Center affected by Windows Live OneCare RRS feed

• Question

• I have Symantec Norton Confidential (Password ) program installed along with Windows Vista Home Premium, SP2, and I keep getting notifications from Norton Protection Center, a tab in Norton Confidential, that i have a "Phishing Protection Problem" and a "Crimeware Protection Problem". I  have Phishing turned on, but can't find crimeware in Windows Live OneCare. I knoe both phishing and crimeware are part of Norton NIS program, which I do not have installed, but I am questioning if Windows Live OneCare covers crimeware?

I have no other antivirus or firewall programs installed on my PC per Live OneCare requirements. Do I need Norton NIS?

fireball517
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 1:51 PM

Answers

• OneCare does not include phishing protection or "crimeware" as Symantec is apparently alerting for. I assume that they are giving a fancy name to phishing to make you want to buy their full suite. Phishing protection is provided by the browser and OneCare requires that it is turned on for IE.

I don't know if it is possible, but remove the Norton Protection Center software if you can and still use your Password program. The Norton protection center is taking the place of Windows Security Center and is simply monitoring your PC for Norton /Symantec protection.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 1:59 PM