WHS Fails to backup some drives on XP system RRS feed

• Question

• Of the five systems connected to my WHS machine, four backup well--but one XP system backs up only the C drive and fails to backup the other drives (D and E) attached to it. I've uninstalled the connector software on the XP machine (a pain in itself since the Remove option always ended with a Fatal Error message, and I ferreted out all WHS references in the registry to get rid of it). Then I removed the XP system in WHS, ran CHKDSK on  all the XP drives, and finally reinstalled the connector software, thereby reconnecting it.By the way, there are other XP systems in the house that backup without problems.

WHS still backs up only the C drive and reports that it failed to back up the D and E drives. The Details on the backup attempt only say there was a problem reading or writing from the hard drive D, and that no failure was reported on the other drive. Apparently when it failed on the D drive it stopped trying on the third drive.

Is there a next best process to use to resolve this issue?  Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Sunday, June 27, 2010 3:27 PM

Answers

• To the best of my knowledge the drives have always been NTFS. If I'm wrong about that, however, I am reasonably sure they were not converted from FAT32. Instead, I would have deleted the FAT32 partition and created a new NTFS partition. Would that be adequate?
    It should be.

Meanwhile, I like your "delete D" suggestion. I'll give it a shot. If it turns out that something about D is the problem, perhaps something mechanical, would cloning it onto a different drive likely solve the problem? Or is there a software issue that could be causing the problem?

It should.  However, just to verify, you did run chkdsk /r (including the /r switch) on the D drive, right?  If so, did it find any problems?  (You can see the chkdsk log in the Event Viewer.)
    • Marked as answer by J50 Thursday, July 1, 2010 12:04 AM
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 4:57 PM

All replies

• Of the five systems connected to my WHS machine, four backup well--but one XP system backs up only the C drive and fails to backup the other drives (D and E) attached to it. I've uninstalled the connector software on the XP machine (a pain in itself since the Remove option always ended with a Fatal Error message, and I ferreted out all WHS references in the registry to get rid of it). Then I removed the XP system in WHS, ran CHKDSK on  all the XP drives, and finally reinstalled the connector software, thereby reconnecting it.By the way, there are other XP systems in the house that backup without problems.

WHS still backs up only the C drive and reports that it failed to back up the D and E drives. The Details on the backup attempt only say there was a problem reading or writing from the hard drive D, and that no failure was reported on the other drive. Apparently when it failed on the D drive it stopped trying on the third drive.

Is there a next best process to use to resolve this issue?  Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Are all of the partitions NTFS (and have they always been NTFS; there have been some instances where FAT/FAT32 partitions that were converted to NTFS still wouldn't backup successfully)?  You could try backing up C and E only.  This way it will determine if D is the only problem.
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 4:10 PM
  • To the best of my knowledge the drives have always been NTFS. If I'm wrong about that, however, I am reasonably sure they were not converted from FAT32. Instead, I would have deleted the FAT32 partition and created a new NTFS partition. Would that be adequate?

Meanwhile, I like your "delete D" suggestion. I'll give it a shot. If it turns out that something about D is the problem, perhaps something mechanical, would cloning it onto a different drive likely solve the problem? Or is there a software issue that could be causing the problem?

Sunday, June 27, 2010 4:41 PM
    It should be.

It should.  However, just to verify, you did run chkdsk /r (including the /r switch) on the D drive, right?  If so, did it find any problems?  (You can see the chkdsk log in the Event Viewer.)
    • Marked as answer by J50 Thursday, July 1, 2010 12:04 AM
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 4:57 PM
  • >>It should.  However, just to verify, you did run chkdsk /r (including the /r switch) on the D drive, right?  If so, did it find any problems?  (You can see the chkdsk log in the Event Viewer.)<<

I omitted the D: drive from Windows Home Server, and the backup ran smoothly.    

When I first consulted the event viewer logs, they were corrupt--so I deleted their contents and ran chkdsk on the D: drive when the system restarted. Chkdsk did indeed find some problems, and the new event log showed that there were repairs made. So your advice did indeed lead to the solution. Thank you!

Thursday, July 1, 2010 12:17 AM