none
Intranet on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Don't know if this specific question has been asked before on this forum site.  There appears to be similar questions regarding Websites and Intranet on WHS.  I have a WHS server, with WHIIST already installed on it.  This WHS server has remote access configured and remote access is working fine.  Now, there isn't a lot of documentation on WHIIST other than installing it and basically minor configuration.  Also, there isn't a lot of documentation or articles on building a Webserver on WHS.  At least in my searches, I could not come up with good information. 

Question: I would like to create/maintain an Intranet site on my WHS.  How do I do this task?

My intentions are to have webpages (HTM/HTML) and PDF's on my Intranet site for viewing purposes ONLY.  

Any thoughts or documentation would be helpful.

• Edited by pfisher12 Friday, June 22, 2012 8:10 PM
    Friday, June 22, 2012 8:09 PM

All replies

• What you want to do is neither supported nor recommended in general. It can be done, though, most easily by using the whiist add-in (if your needs are modest). For assistance with using whiist, you can try asking the author, though I'll note that it hasn't been updated since sometime in early 2008.

Other than that, I will have to refer you to Technet where you will find a great deal of information on configuring IIS and creating web applications, etc. You should be careful, as it's possible to damage the remote access or connector functionality beyond repair.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Friday, June 22, 2012 11:01 PM
  • Thanks for the response.  Why isn't it recommended to have a Intranet on WHS? It is considered a webserver, right?  I understand if you are speaking in terms of security reasons.  Yes, I have tried to contact Andrew Grant a couple of times regarding WHIIST without receiving a response.

What about WHS 2011.  Can I create an Intranet on WHS 2011?  This WHS 2011 server does NOT have remote access turned ON.  How would I go about setting up an Intranet on WHS 2011?

Saturday, June 23, 2012 1:02 AM
  • Windows Home Server is a pre-configured closed set of tools by design. If it's not there "out of the box", Microsoft doesn't expect most home users to want/need to do it, so there's no way to do it through the console. Anything you do from the server's desktop is unsupported and has some risk (often small, but I've been an IT pro for a long time, and "risk averse" is a way of life :) ) of causing problems with normal operation of Windows Home Server. Thus "not recommended".

As for it being "considered a webserver", not in the sense that you mean. It has a web server built in for the purpose of running the Remote Access web site and facilitating other operations (such as installing the connector on client computers). That's the only web server functionality available "out of the box".

What you want to do is certainly not impossible; it shouldn't even be difficult if you're familiar with how to configure IIS, but it is unsupported.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Saturday, June 23, 2012 2:39 AM
  • If that's what you want, I would start with Windows 7 running Apache!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, June 23, 2012 2:48 AM
  • Can either one of you guys point me into the right direction in terms of configuring IIS for WHS?  Is there any documentation on configuring IIS to work with WHS?
    Saturday, June 23, 2012 3:22 AM
  • Gentlemen,

Would Sharepoint be a viable solution to pfisher's question?

Its free, easy to set up and administer, and if configured to use an alternate port, doesn't interfere with remote web access.

Granted, its unsupported, but then anything anyone who's smart enough to end up here wants to do is usually unsupported.

Travis

Saturday, June 23, 2012 3:34 AM
  • I've installed SQL onto a WHS v.1 headless Hewlett-Packard unit. I used the Remote Desktop Connection program, circumventing the WHS Console altogether. I imagine you can install Apache or similar web server the same way. WHS v.1 and '011 is a lite-version of Windows Server 2003 and '08, respectively.

Were you able to create an intranet using your home server? If so, how were you able to do this?

Thanks.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 5:05 PM