Password no longer works in Money 2005 (UK) under W10 RRS feed

• Question

• I had the IE6 problem but the regedit hack allowed me to at least open the program start screen. I am using Money from the MS Works Suite 2006 (United Kingdom) which I think is Money 2005 version. I am not sure of the build as there is no option to find it.

I used 'Open' to navigate to my Money mny file but when I entered my usual password there was a very fast flash message on screen (Far to fast to read) but the password did not work so I cannot open my file.

If I cannot find a solution to this then I will have to revert back to W7

Friday, August 7, 2015 7:18 PM

Answers

• Thanks Bill. I will try that. However please see below for my 'odd' problem!

Money is my C drive (Now a W10 PC) my wife's Acer laptop (W8.1) is on our home network and can access the Money file fine on my PC using our normal password.
     BUT, on my PC when I try to open the Money file using the same password I am advised its the wrong password or a quick notification flash then nothing or I get a message that says the file is corrupted. If my wife's laptop can access the file it is not corrupted and the password is correct. That can only mean the faults are within W10, not Money or the saved file.

Hopefully the latest file will correct my problems........

Friday, August 7, 2015 8:48 PM

All replies

• Did you by any chance reinstall Money from you Works disk?  If so, then you should uninstall it and download and install Money 2005 UK from:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/479281b2-90f9-42ca-85f7-644fc6e1e5c3/download-microsoft-money-installation-files-solve-activation-and-some-other-errors?forum=money

The Money version on your Works disk needs an online update that is no longer available.

Bill Becker

Friday, August 7, 2015 8:37 PM
  • Thanks Bill. I will try that. However please see below for my 'odd' problem!

Money is my C drive (Now a W10 PC) my wife's Acer laptop (W8.1) is on our home network and can access the Money file fine on my PC using our normal password.
     BUT, on my PC when I try to open the Money file using the same password I am advised its the wrong password or a quick notification flash then nothing or I get a message that says the file is corrupted. If my wife's laptop can access the file it is not corrupted and the password is correct. That can only mean the faults are within W10, not Money or the saved file.

Hopefully the latest file will correct my problems........

Friday, August 7, 2015 8:48 PM
  • AJW1100, what files are found when you do the following command in a command window on each machine:?

dir \mny*.aw /s

Friday, August 7, 2015 9:13 PM
  • This is the result of my W10 PC. I hope I got it right!

Directory of C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles\Works

07/19/2002  09:21 PM            12,792 MNYUKEN.aw
                   1 File(s)         12,792 bytes

Total Files Listed:
                   0 Dir(s)  203,667,042,304 bytes free

As on my wife's laptop W8.1

19/07/2002  21:21 PM            12,792 MNYUKEN.aw

Total Files Listed:
                   0 Dir(s)  922,982,981,632 bytes free

I can generate a new Money file but not open an existing file, so close but so far!

I do hope that there is a way to fix this problem. If I am unable to open or find a way to copy, transfer or something to access it then I will have no option but to rollback to W7. I have activated my W10 installation so I think I can always re-install it later once the problem has a fix.

Thank you for helping an OAP!

Saturday, August 8, 2015 12:33 PM
  • 1. You appear to be using non-UK date and time formats. Check that your time zone is set correctly as (UTC) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London (or the same as your wife, wherever you are).

2. Make sure you have installed or updated Money 2005 UK from the downloaded file.

3. Right click on your Money data file, select Properties then Security and check that your username has Full control over the file. I assume that the data file is not located in Program Files (x86).

Saturday, August 8, 2015 1:54 PM
  • Ohps, my reply seems to have gone walkies, so I will try again.

Thank you Dominic the problem was indeed the time and date formats. I thought W10 transferred all settings from W7 but obviously not all. No I have corrected this error I am delighted to report I have now been able to open my corrupted money file on this W10 PC.

I have not, as yet, installed the updated downloaded Money file, I DO have my money data files in my Microsoft Money folder in Program Files (X86). Can I simply copy them to another drive and reinstall then copy them back? Or is there a better option?

I must admit I have never had a problem with my existing installation so please let me know what is different with the updated version I have now downloaded?

As for #3 my 'system' had full control, my username did not, not knowing exactly what I was doing I used Edit on my username to enable full control.

I cannot thank you enough, I was very close to rolling back to W7 but now I have Money working I will keep exploring W10, I have another 28 days to play before I commit to it completely!

Saturday, August 8, 2015 6:26 PM
  • Data file location

Data files should be in your Documents area. This separates your personal files from the Windows and Program files.

You can cut and paste them to Documents, then start Money and select File-Open. When you close the file, Money will remember the last used location and open the file in the new location by default.

Money 2005 was issued when XP was current. At that time, mixing personal and system files was acceptable. Indeed, Money 2005 placed the user's data files in Program Files by default. This is no longer good practice (it never was). From Vista onwards, the Windows backup routines assume that any personal data is in Documents.

Updated Money file

There was a bug in the released version of Money 2005 which was corrected automatically by an online update. This update changed the data file format so that installations from CD could not read the data files until the update was again applied automatically online. A few years ago, Microsoft removed the server which held the update. Eventually, Microsoft issued an updated installation file.

If you re-install Money at any time you will need the downloaded file, and should install from that file. Otherwise, you will not be able to read your data files.

Saturday, August 8, 2015 7:03 PM
  • Hi Dominic.

Thank you for your reply, as soon as I can I will update both copies with the downloaded file. I keep duplicate copies of all my data files on two external drives.

Sunday, August 9, 2015 7:33 AM