Format hard drive for back up RRS feed

• Question

• My one care says it wants to re format and change the format of the External Hard Drive,

It also says no data will be lost, is this true because I have lots of important stuff on my 500G that I cant loose???? 

Please help because I am too scared to back up in case it deletes all my stuff.

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 2:55 PM

Answers

• As I replied to your other post:

You do not need to change the file system on the external drive.

This is from Instant Support:

Convert your file system from FAT to NTFS
    Windows XP and Windows Vista store, organize, and retrieve files on your hard disk (Used for long-term storage and retrieval of data needed by your computer. Your programs, operating system, and most of your files are stored on your hard disk.) with one of three file systems: FAT, FAT32, or NTFS. Because the NTFS file system is usually more secure than FAT and FAT32 file systems, we recommend that you use NTFS with Windows Live OneCare.
    If you back up your files with an external hard disk (A removable hard disk that connects to your computer and uses a USB or an IEEE 1394 ("FireWire") connection.) that is formatted with FAT, we recommend that you convert the disk to NTFS. You can convert the disk without losing any data, and conversion to NTFS will help make the disk more secure and efficient.
    Important
    If you plan to share a hard disk with computers that don't run Windows XP, Windows 2000, or Windows Server 2003, don't convert your drive to NTFS.
    To convert your file system from FAT to NTFS:
    In Windows XP, click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
    –or–
    In Windows Vista, click Start, click in the Start Search box, and then type command prompt. Under Programs, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
    Type convertDrive letter : /FS:NTFS, where Drive letter is the letter of the disk that you want to convert. For example, if your external hard disk drive is drive E, type convert E: /FS:NTFS.
    Press ENTER.

If you choose to convert the file system, I recommend that you first copy (and verify that the copies are good) anything that you do not want to risk losing, despite what the help text says.
    -steve

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 5:43 PM

All replies

• As I replied to your other post:

You do not need to change the file system on the external drive.

This is from Instant Support:

Convert your file system from FAT to NTFS
    Windows XP and Windows Vista store, organize, and retrieve files on your hard disk (Used for long-term storage and retrieval of data needed by your computer. Your programs, operating system, and most of your files are stored on your hard disk.) with one of three file systems: FAT, FAT32, or NTFS. Because the NTFS file system is usually more secure than FAT and FAT32 file systems, we recommend that you use NTFS with Windows Live OneCare.
    If you back up your files with an external hard disk (A removable hard disk that connects to your computer and uses a USB or an IEEE 1394 ("FireWire") connection.) that is formatted with FAT, we recommend that you convert the disk to NTFS. You can convert the disk without losing any data, and conversion to NTFS will help make the disk more secure and efficient.
    Important
    If you plan to share a hard disk with computers that don't run Windows XP, Windows 2000, or Windows Server 2003, don't convert your drive to NTFS.
    To convert your file system from FAT to NTFS:
    In Windows XP, click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
    –or–
    In Windows Vista, click Start, click in the Start Search box, and then type command prompt. Under Programs, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
    Type convertDrive letter : /FS:NTFS, where Drive letter is the letter of the disk that you want to convert. For example, if your external hard disk drive is drive E, type convert E: /FS:NTFS.
    Press ENTER.

If you choose to convert the file system, I recommend that you first copy (and verify that the copies are good) anything that you do not want to risk losing, despite what the help text says.
    -steve

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 5:43 PM
  • When I try to set up the backup parameters, OneCare says it will change the file system -- I can't see any way to tell it *not* to do this, if I want it to do an auto backup. (And it fails every time I try and let it change the file system.) Any hints?

Thursday, November 20, 2008 1:15 AM
  • If you are configuring Centralized backup, you must convert it to NTFS.
    If you are only going to be backing up the one PC, configure backup to *not* use Centralized backup, despite that being the suggested setting.
    If you are using Centralized backup, try converting the drive manually -
    How to Use Convert.exe to Convert a Partition to the NTFS File System

Converting FAT32 to NTFS in Windows XP

Alternatively, format the external drive and select the disk format type to be NTFS. Note that all data will be erased from the drive if you do this.
    -steve

Thursday, November 20, 2008 6:47 PM