Xp Pro RRS feed

• Question

• I have XP Installed on my computer right now, how do i know if i can instal XP Pro and can i install Pro if i have XP installed already, what i mean is that would i have to re-install XP and Save all my files.
     Also what XP Pro should i buy because there is a lot of XP Pros available to buy such as OEM or SP2, i just want to use it to set up a ftp server
    Sunday, August 13, 2006 1:43 AM

Answers

• If you wish to multiboot, you would need a "Full Version" of Windows XP and install it on an available empty partition or drive.
    Sunday, August 13, 2006 2:40 PM

All replies

• An upgrade to Windows XP Pro is a smooth transition and will not affect your current programs or files if you use the following procedure:

1. Purchase a conventional "Retail Upgrade Version" [boxed] of Windows XP Professional.

2. Uninstall your antivirus program.

3. Perform a backup of your important documents and files to a CD, DVD, or other backup media.

4. Disconnect all hardware peripheral devices, except the monitor, keyboard and mouse.

5. While running Windows XP Home, insert the Windows XP Pro CD in the drive and select the default "Upgrade" setup option. [Do not select "New Installation"]

6. Visit the Windows Update site to download all the critical updates.

7. Reinstall your antivirus program, then defrag your hard drive.

Sunday, August 13, 2006 2:28 AM
  • I know how to install a OS, but would for instance i would like to multiboot on my comp, do i need to buy the upgrade or full version?
    Sunday, August 13, 2006 5:35 AM
  • If you wish to multiboot, you would need a "Full Version" of Windows XP and install it on an available empty partition or drive.
    Sunday, August 13, 2006 2:40 PM