Mesh no longer working on Vista RRS feed

• Question

• Up until a week to 10 days ago, Mesh worked flawlessly on my systems. I was foolish enough to leave the updates turned on. This allowed my systems to update to the next beta version which unfortunately DOESN'T work.

On my Windows XP machine, I have no errors, shows my remote desktop is available, and the web interface shows that all is good. It currently shows I'm running version xx14.7 I am able to access my remote desktop using the browser on a different machine. (virtual machine running windows 7)

On my Vista machine it shows remote desktop not available, and I'm not able to run the remote to my XP machine. it currently shows I'm running version xx14.4 I've followed the suggestions in the forum, I've even tried uninstall/reinstall making sure that the computer doesn't have a left over files in c:\program files\live mesh\ I also rebooted to ensure that the changes were written out.

I tried the registry key removal to enable the update, still doesn't update, still doesn't work.

So now I'm quite fond of the remote desktop that I don't need to do anything to connect to, but it no longer works. What other suggestions are there to get the Vista remote desktop working again.

And Yes I have submitted logs etc.

(BTW I don't use Aero/Glass my desktop looks like Win2K, very spartan layout. I do use dual monitors on the Vista machine, but that hasn't really been an issue so far.)

• Edited by sturmey Tuesday, June 30, 2009 4:21 PM added that I submitted logs
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 4:20 PM

Answers

• I was hoping that it would be an easy fix, but since I've found an alternative to the remote desktop, I'm not that concerned that mesh is not working.

regarding the responses I've received from Diana, I would suggest that when you respond to a thread like this, please read the previous posts to make sure your comments are actually on topic. This last link is pretty much useless since the support site is a typical microsoft site, and is NOT self explanatory.

Mesh has a long way to go before it's ready for prime time.

At this point I will call this unresolved , but closed.
    • Marked as answer by sturmey Wednesday, July 8, 2009 1:22 AM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 1:22 AM

All replies

• Updated information
    I have tried turning off all firewalls on my computer, still can't connect in or out. still can't update the program.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 4:32 PM
  • Filing the bug report was the right thing to do. Unfortunately, I have no other suggestions for you. When you reinstalled, you installed the latest installer available for download and it should update to the latest again. However, since the reinstall didn't resolve the RD issue, I don't know what the cause could be. When it updated and again when you reinstalled, were you prompted in the notifier to install the Enhancements? On my Vista machines I needed to manually kick that off from the notifier in each case after the update.
    Thanks for filing the bug report. Can you post the ID or a link to your bug here?

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 5:00 PM
  • That's the thing, it never asked if I wanted to install the enhancements. I thought I had missed it, or maybe something had changed, I tried the uninstall/reinstall again, and it just installed, no questions only thing it asked was my login information.
    I haven't found where to install enhancements in the notifier. I think I looked everywhere.

the bug I submitted is https://connect.microsoft.com/LiveMesh/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=471147

ID=471147
    I'm not sure how good the logs are since I generated them right after finding the problem.
    Sturmey
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 5:15 PM
  • Thanks for the link. When you reinstalled Live Mesh, were you logged in with an account that has admin rights?
    After the update my notifier had a little yellow triangle with an exclamation point which had a link to install the enhancement.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 2:57 PM
  • I have the only account on this laptop, and it has admin rights. This is the account I used to install live mesh.

I do have the little yellow triangle with an excalamation point on it, but if I click the icon, I get a webpage opening to mesh.com/Web/News/DeviceProfile.asp?DeviceUrl=Mesh/Devices/etc......

if I right click, I get a grayed out box with "connect" in it.

I don't have a yellow triangle on the tray icon, and it still doesn't update.

I did find a 3rd party app that allows me to remotely access my computers, and that is working, but it doesn't have the speed or quality that live mesh has, so it's only a partial solution. (for those who will enevitably ask, search "logmein". I make no claims about this product)
    Sturmey
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 3:34 PM
  • UPDATE:
    read one of the other posts about updates failing, ran "LiveMesh.exe /repair" on a running installation, and it seems to be up to date with 4014.7, so one problem is solved.

This didn't change the status of the remote desktop
    Live Mesh Remote Desktop is not available.

Sturmey
    Friday, July 3, 2009 2:39 PM
  • This sounds more like a network or an authentication issue, rather than with mesh itself. I have mesh on vistas and xp, recieved the latest update and mesh is fine. The greyed out could be explained by improper permissions. In program files, open live mesh folder, right click on remote desktop folder, click security tab, advanced security, check to see if your user name is in permissions list with full controll.

Diana Microsoft Partner http://djarts-express.spaces.live.com
    • Edited by djartsinc Sunday, July 5, 2009 6:02 AM more info
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 5:56 AM
  • First, if the permission is not set correctly then the installer/updater would have an issue as I made sure all folders were deleted, and then rebooted before installing.

I did check to see if ther permissions explicitly allowed my account full control and they didn't. The administrators group did have full control, which my user account is part of. I did set my account to full control, and stopped and restarted the program, there was no change in it's working status.

It seems like the RDP components are not installed, or are installed incorrectly. I don't see any way to install them. At no point did I receive an option to install them. I do have a small yellow triangle next to my device, but I don't see any options to change it.
    http://smewinnipeg.org/images/mesh.jpg
    http://smewinnipeg.org/images/mesh1.jpg

If I right click the device, I have a grayed out "connect" option (sorry no image to prove). All the rest of the drop down lists and option windows have nothing to do with remote desktop.

Current status:
      version 0.9.4014.7
      RDP unavailable
    Monday, July 6, 2009 3:25 PM
  • Hi Sturmey,

That is stange. Remote desktop protical components should be installed when mesh was installed. If they are not working, there is no mesh. What os is mesh installed on
    Diana Microsoft Partner
    Monday, July 6, 2009 3:48 PM
  • Windows version:
    Vista Home Premium
    Service Pack 1

Hardware:
    Acer Aspire 5100 laptop
    AMD Turion 64 X2 mobile techology TL-56
    2.00 GB RAM
    32-bit Operating System

Internet connection:
    company LAN > DSL 6 Mbits download .6 Mbits upload
    There have been no changes to network or firewall from the time it was working until now.
    Monday, July 6, 2009 3:56 PM
  • The screeenshots - are they from the John-PC device or from the Marvin device? (I have a PC called Marvin, too! Been naming them after Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy characters. <g>)

-steve

Monday, July 6, 2009 4:01 PM
  • The John-PC device. The Marvin device seems to work well. it's running XP SP3 (and yes, Marvin the paranoid android, since it's mobile <g>)

Monday, July 6, 2009 4:08 PM
  • Hi Sturmey,

Here is some helpfull links

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925876

http://www.vistaclues.com/how-to-enable-remote-desktop/

I suspect that your issue is not in mesh or your system, but rather, an network issue. What firewall are you using.? Is (remote management) active in your router firewall?
    Diana Microsoft Partner
    • Edited by djartsinc Monday, July 6, 2009 4:20 PM more input
    Monday, July 6, 2009 4:08 PM
  • I checked all those settings, and they are set according to the suggestions. The only thing I can think of is UAC being disabled has somehow caused a security issue for mesh. I'll try enabling and restarting to see if that helps.
    Monday, July 6, 2009 4:22 PM
  • UAC should be enabled, as it adds advanced security features, but it has nothing to do with RDP. Your rdp is the issue. The problem is in your network. If rdp is not working, that explaines the greyed-out controls

• Edited by djartsinc Monday, July 6, 2009 4:47 PM more info
    Monday, July 6, 2009 4:34 PM
  • UAC is one of the stupidest things that Microsoft has done in the name of security, but as you say that is another issue.
    also enabling it did not change the status of RDP on this computer.

It seems that it is a problem both ways. I can't connect to the other computer (marvin) from here, nor cn I connect to this computer (John-PC).

Marvin is reachable from another computer using the web interface.
    I have verified that the Windows firewall is not blocking the live mesh remote desktop
    http://smewinnipeg.org/images/mesh2.jpg

I have turned off the AV software for testing purposes, but normally it is on. (Avast)
    Monday, July 6, 2009 4:55 PM
  • If you go to the system properties for the PC (right click computer, properties, advanced) do you see Remote connections allowed?

-steve
    Monday, July 6, 2009 4:59 PM
  • both "Allow this computer to be controlled remotely" and "Allow Remote Assistance connections to theis computer" are checked.
    Monday, July 6, 2009 5:01 PM
  • Now that you've enabled UAC, you may want to consider reinstalling Live Mesh and you should be prompted to install the enhancements that enable Remote Desktop via Live Mesh on Vista machines.
    I don't run with UAC off, but I believe that the requirement for UAC was removed some time back. In early versions of Live Mesh it was required in order to install the enhancements.
    UAC can be a pain in Vista, but it really isn't that bad unless you are running legacy software that is doing things that should be done line changing data in the \Windows or \Program Files trees.
    -steve
    Monday, July 6, 2009 5:02 PM
  • ok, removed mesh, rebooted.
    verified UAC is on.
    tried to reinstall from mesh.com, failed with "error 80072f78" had the installer downloaded, so I tried running the installation from a local directory instead of running from the temp folder, worked.
    Finally got the little notifier to install remote desktop
    chose install remote desktop components
    all updates finished

Current status:
      version 0.9.4014.7
      RDP unavailable

no solution yet.
    Monday, July 6, 2009 6:20 PM
  • :-(

Darn. I thought this might be the solution.

Did you reboot the PC at least once following the reinstall?

-steve
    Monday, July 6, 2009 7:13 PM
  • well I hadn't until you suggested it, but it turns out that rebooting didn't help.
    it would seem that whatever update happened a few weeks ago on my computer doesn't want to play nice with mesh.

Current status:
      unchanged
    Monday, July 6, 2009 7:27 PM
  • Error 80072f78 is a windows update error. Here is a thread with information about the error

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&tid=d50c51c4-e0d1-4875-8744-57159b90168d&p=1&wa=wsignin1.0
    Diana Microsoft Partner
    Monday, July 6, 2009 9:06 PM
  • Windows update seems to be working fine. I don't have any issues with installing updates or connecting and receiving updates. I also syncronize one folder between both my computers, and that folder syncs properly.
    pretty much just the remote desktop that is broken.
    Monday, July 6, 2009 9:31 PM
  • Eventhough you recieve regular updates without a problem, There are still some updates, occasionally, that fail to install corectly. You can still get support from microsoft updates for the individual update that failed. The error code that you posted is a failed microsoft update. Support can help with that. As far as the remote desktop issue, It is an issue with RDP not working, which is a network issue.

Diana Microsoft Partner
    • Edited by djartsinc Tuesday, July 7, 2009 5:14 AM more info
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 5:09 AM
  • I asked someone from the Live Mesh team to have a look at this issue and this is the response I got:
    "he’s got an old version of the WU on there.  He has to go up to windowsupdate.com and manually select the update since it’s typically under optional until it’s required for all updates to use."

-steve

Tuesday, July 7, 2009 12:23 PM
  • Well unless it's a magical update that requires a special incantation to have appear, I have all the updates on the computer. Windows update only shows device driver updates (which all cause problems) there are no hidden updates. also windowsupdate.com is not a valid address, it's windowsupdate.microsoft.com

I'll try to post a new set of logs for the live mesh team to look at in a little while.
    • Edited by sturmey Tuesday, July 7, 2009 12:53 PM spelling
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 12:53 PM
  • Dealing with the older version of WU issue, this link may be helpfull

http://www.vistax64.com/windows-updates/176557-missing-rundll32-wu-errors.html
    Diana Microsoft Partner
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 12:53 PM
  • Well unless it's a magical update that requires a special incantation to have appear, I have all the updates on the computer. Windows update only shows device driver updates (which all cause problems) there are no hidden updates. also windowsupdate.com is not a valid address, it's windowsupdate.microsoft.com

I'll try to post a new set of logs for the live mesh team to look at in a little while.

I don't know about magical updates, but for some reason you appear to have a problem with the WU components according to that reply. Yeah, he screwed up the URL and I simply copied it. I think he's a bit busy and was in a big hurry when replying. I had actually expected to see a reply in here this morning from him...
    And, I agree - avoid the driver updates for the most part. I do apply some driver updates, but only one at a time and am prepared to do a system restore in the event of a problem.
    -steve
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 1:24 PM

Diana Microsoft Partner

I think you can skip that URL and go right to the KB article with the download:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104

It is part of the discussion at your URL, Diana, but the majority of that discussion doesn't apply here. ;-) Thanks for the pointer, though!
    -steve
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 1:26 PM
  • updated log files with new files generated this morning
    https://connect.microsoft.com/LiveMesh/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=471147

according to windows update history I have windows update agent 7.2.6001.788 installed succesfully on 04/12/2008
    That is the only update I have found for the windows update tool

When I go to update.microsoft.com it takes me to this on my computer.
    http://smewinnipeg.org/images/windows-update.jpg

The list of available updates, most of which cause issues on my system. (not really sure why they would be considered better than the working drivers I have, but that's another issue.)
    http://smewinnipeg.org/images/available-updates.jpg

If I go to restore hidden updates there is nothing listed.

Current status:
      version 0.9.4014.7
      RDP unavailable
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 3:37 PM
  • Thanks for adding the new log files. Sorry that the problem persists and we haven't nailed it down yet.
    -steve
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 4:38 PM

Diana Microsoft Partner

I think you can skip that URL and go right to the KB article with the download:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104

It is part of the discussion at your URL, Diana, but the majority of that discussion doesn't apply here. ;-) Thanks for the pointer, though!
    -steve

This is true for other operating systems, but vista is different. When you click on that link, and click on (get the latest version of WU software, it takes you in a circle and drops you off in control pannel. All updates are handled from there. He is using an older version of vista, and regecting some of the available updates. The Vista forums link may or may not help with his current issue, but for older versions of vista, this and future problems, it is an excellant place to get help. Since he has mesh installed on an older version of vista, to get some of the mesh updates, he probably will need help with vista.

• Edited by djartsinc Tuesday, July 7, 2009 6:32 PM more info
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 6:21 PM
  • Ack! I completely overlooked this:
    [
    "Vista Home Premium
    Service Pack 1"

sturmey, why are you not at SP2 of Vista? And why is it not listed in your view of available updates. At this point, I believe that SP2 has been pushed to Windows Update for Vista as an Important update.

-steve
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 6:44 PM
  • I was not aware that SP2 was release to public already.

Still doesn't explain why mesh worked last month and not this.
    I'll try to find and update to SP2. Based on what has happened with previous SP updates I'll keep my fingers crossed that this will work.
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 6:48 PM
  • Ok, took a bit, but finished the install
    now at Vista SP2 32-bit OS
    checked, RDP not available.
    ran livemesh.exe /repair
    reboot again
    sign-in to mesh.
    verified the same updates are available in windows update
    UAC is turned off again, (it was getting agravating, and it didn't seem to make a difference.)

Current status:
      version 0.9.4014.7
      RDP unavailable
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 9:34 PM
  • I was hoping that it would be an easy fix, but since I've found an alternative to the remote desktop, I'm not that concerned that mesh is not working.

regarding the responses I've received from Diana, I would suggest that when you respond to a thread like this, please read the previous posts to make sure your comments are actually on topic. This last link is pretty much useless since the support site is a typical microsoft site, and is NOT self explanatory.

• Marked as answer by sturmey Wednesday, July 8, 2009 1:22 AM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 1:22 AM

Thanks for all of your efforts and for filing the bug report. Hopefully the problem can be identified and resolved. It remains a mystery to me as to what the problem is. And, yes, Live Mesh is indeed a beta at this point with no announced date for release. I suspect that Microsoft is well aware that there are issues that still need to be addressed and suspect that there will also be changes to Live Mesh before it is released - both in fixes and functionality.
    -steve
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 12:32 PM
  • Ok, took a bit, but finished the install
    now at Vista SP2 32-bit OS
    checked, RDP not available.
    ran livemesh.exe /repair
    reboot again
    sign-in to mesh.
    verified the same updates are available in windows update
    UAC is turned off again, (it was getting agravating, and it didn't seem to make a difference.)

Current status:
      version 0.9.4014.7
      RDP unavailable

Hi Sturmey.

The responce I gave was correct. You stated (RDP still not available), that is something not working in your system, not mesh. Without remote desktop prodical, you will have issues with programs other than mesh. It is in you networking components on your system. I always read the thread thourally before I offer a responce. I am sorry that you are unhappy with mesh, but I was only trying to help
    • Edited by djartsinc Sunday, July 12, 2009 6:19 AM spelling error
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 6:17 AM