Performance VS Used Hard Drive Space RRS feed

• Question

• I did an experiment.  I had a but 80GB in each of the Music and Public folders on a 750GB WHS.  The performance was getting slow and sluggish so I deleted all the data from one of the folders (both folders had same data).  By deleting performance improved but other functions still proved to be a drag. Things like right clicking create an "hourglass moment" (10 secs or so), or even a freeze followed by a "not responding".

It would seem these types of things are based on the power of the processor.  Is this correct?  Since these servers intend to do a lot of .. well serving.. shouldn't be reasonable to expect them to have better processors and more power than those clients that it's serving?

I have 42% used for shares  , 22% backups,  32% free and if the server is just going to lag as the drive fills up what's the point?

In some cases I am wondering whether this Celeron is really beefed up enough to handle the 340GB I had on it a few days ago.

I haven't been happy with the performance of this 485 lately.  The shortcuts to the servers Music and Public folders on my client desktop aren't as quick to open as the other folders my client desktop.

Bad server! Bad.
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 7:59 AM

All replies

The shortcuts to the servers Music and Public folders on my client desktop aren't as quick to open as the other folders my client desktop.
    And probably never will be. Accessing a file system across a network adds a lot of overhead to the process. The bottlenecks are absolutely not related to processor speed, I'm afraid.

That said, I have a lot more data on my server than you do, and I never see long "hourglass moments", "not responding" messages, etc. So it's quite possible that you have some other issue.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 11:58 AM
  • Any idea how to get to the bottom of it?
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 1:47 PM
  • I would start with a server recovery (per the instructions in your documentation, and don't do a factory reset). This will take your server software back to it's "out of the box" state. See what performance is like then. Next bring it fully up to date and see what you wind up with. If you've installed anything on your server, leave it off for now. That includes the HP media server and their McAfee trial, add-ins you've installed, etc.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 3:03 PM
  • Áre you running any media servers that you don't need?  They will index files and slow down a system.
    --
    Friday, February 26, 2010 2:07 AM