Add Ins Question RRS feed

• Question

•  

I got the trial version of WHS and set it up. Also installed Whiist.  Initial imperssion is great and I liked it. So far, accessing photos, video etc. inside home is okay. Just wanted to know whether the following are possible

1. Any Add In so that viewers of shared albums (someone accesing it using a URL in Internet Explorer) can be viewed as a slideshow. Whiist is great, but needs to keep on clicking on photos.

2. Is there any Add In so that I can have videos in my Shared Albums? (Whiist does not support that, right?)

3. Also, is there any Add In so that, once a new album is setup to be shared, an option to send emails so that recipients can be notified.

4. Remote access is okay. Is it only for Administration purpose & Uploading/Downloading photos? If not, is it possible to remote login and play (stream) music/video files? Eg. I am away from my home and wants to listen to the songs etc. Right now, it downloads the entire file (it takes a long time) and plays.

Thanks
    Santhosh

Friday, December 28, 2007 6:56 PM

Answers

• There was a thread about WebGuide... http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2302562&SiteID=50

Putting in the license number gave me the server error too, but it worked a couple days ago.  I think his server is kind of spotty since he gave up on WebGuide.  Might want to try again?

Saturday, December 29, 2007 7:19 AM
  • After trying unsuccessfully for 4 days, it just took my demo code and I now have WebGuide working. Try to activate again as it seems the web link goes up & down from time to time.

Monday, December 31, 2007 5:59 PM

All replies

•  iskumar wrote:

I got the trial version of WHS and set it up. Also installed Whiist.  Initial imperssion is great and I liked it. So far, accessing photos, video etc. inside home is okay. Just wanted to know whether the following are possible

1. Any Add In so that viewers of shared albums (someone accesing it using a URL in Internet Explorer) can be viewed as a slideshow. Whiist is great, but needs to keep on clicking on photos.

2. Is there any Add In so that I can have videos in my Shared Albums? (Whiist does not support that, right?)

3. Also, is there any Add In so that, once a new album is setup to be shared, an option to send emails so that recipients can be notified.

4. Remote access is okay. Is it only for Administration purpose & Uploading/Downloading photos? If not, is it possible to remote login and play (stream) music/video files? Eg. I am away from my home and wants to listen to the songs etc. Right now, it downloads the entire file (it takes a long time) and plays.

Thanks
    Santhosh

In a word yes.

Take a look at this  "WEBGUIDE"  http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1749182&SiteID=50

You can also head over to http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/windows-home-server-add-ins/  where you will get a full listing of ADD INs

Friday, December 28, 2007 7:04 PM
  •  iskumar wrote:

Overall good software.

iskumar wrote:

Photo Galleries such as Webguide or installing third party galleries will be the only way to do this.

iskumar wrote:

Webguide Addin

iskumar wrote:

Not to my knowledge but again any open source gallery can give you these features.

iskumar wrote:

Once again Webguide would be your answer.

Download Webguide for WHS

iskumar wrote:

Thanks
    Santhosh

Anytime!

Jon

Friday, December 28, 2007 7:06 PM
  • HAHAHA I was typing up the previous post as you were posting this.

Nice timing!
    Friday, December 28, 2007 7:07 PM
  •  

I had tried Webguide, but ran into some installation problems and gave up.

Also, Webguide is not free, right?

Friday, December 28, 2007 7:36 PM
  • WEBGUIDE IS FREE.

and for this

HP MEDIASMART EX470  "PHOTOSHARE " allows you to do this.

Friday, December 28, 2007 7:45 PM
  •  JonTheTech wrote:
    HAHAHA I was typing up the previous post as you were posting this.

Nice timing!

You had more to type.

Friday, December 28, 2007 7:46 PM
  • HP Photoshare is awful.

It doesn't even allow you to point to a directory.

All files must be uploaded through it's interface and it looses all exif data because it builds its own db.

As if that was not bad enough it RENAMES the files as well.

So now you end up with duplicate copies of images.

Go with Webguide it is 100% free

But you might find that you want more features then that in which you will have to resort to an open source solution.
    Friday, December 28, 2007 7:48 PM
  •  

WebGuide says it is free. But, is it free for WHS? But, during my installation, it prompted for a demo license etc. I got the licence in email and while accessing WebGuide (from a remote login to WHS), it asked for the license and then gave some error ("server not found etc.).

Anyway, I will try WebGuide one more time.

Thanks

Santhosh

Friday, December 28, 2007 7:58 PM
  • It is same story again...

Can't find ws.asciiexpress.com when WebGuide asks for a demo license.

Any help appreaciated.

Thanks

Santhosh

Saturday, December 29, 2007 6:50 AM
  • There was a thread about WebGuide... http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2302562&SiteID=50

Putting in the license number gave me the server error too, but it worked a couple days ago.  I think his server is kind of spotty since he gave up on WebGuide.  Might want to try again?

Saturday, December 29, 2007 7:19 AM
  • I had seen that. But, will try later.

Thanks

Santhosh

Saturday, December 29, 2007 7:25 AM
  • I had tried at least 50 different times during weekend to activate.. no luck.

Santhosh

Monday, December 31, 2007 5:43 PM
  • After trying unsuccessfully for 4 days, it just took my demo code and I now have WebGuide working. Try to activate again as it seems the web link goes up & down from time to time.

Monday, December 31, 2007 5:59 PM
  • DeaveMerchant & BlackFlag,

After 4-5 days, it worked. DEMO License worked. Thanks for your help.

Santhosh

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 3:49 AM
  • Just checked out WebGuide.  It's for Vista & MCE.  It also shows a beta version for WHS.  Which version do I download?

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 3:56 AM
  • Wednesday, January 2, 2008 6:37 PM